Brake Pedal Box

Mat-Moo

For my pedal box (brake pedals etc.) I need to make some washers so that I can have a straight rod going through and angled sheet. Does anyone know whare I can get some very think (10mm) ally washers or even a block theat I can drill and grind/cut to the correct angle? e.g.

Guest Greg

Matt I have some 1" ally bar stock, any good for what your doing ? Give me your dimensions etc and I'll pop it in the post if you'll pay postage.

Not to worry, I came up with a plan that worked better than I hoped an was easy... I used nuts instead!

1) Take a nute of the correct thread you are working with (10mm in my case) and also a scrap bolt, as long as possible really to allow easier manipluation and safety

angledwasher1.jpg

2) Grind it down to the correct profile and have some water around to dunk it in every once in a while to cool it down ***DANGER IT GETS BLOODY HOT!!*** I'm lucky enough to own a bench sander (ebay £35!) which does the job well for me. Once your done it should look like so :-

angledwasher2.jpg

At this stage it's worth test fitting to check the profile is correct, cause one you drill out the middle it's easier to scrap and start again rather than trying to grind some more off.

3) Get the correct size spanner (17mm in this case) and use it to hold the nut while drilling out the middle to the correct size (10mm again in my case). Obviously this is much easier with a pillar drill but I don't see why you couldn't get someone else to hold the spanner while you drill in with a standard drill. Make sure you have the untouched sode face down so that the hole is cut at the correct angle (and the spanner holds it better)

angledwasher3.jpg

4) That's it, you should have a washer the perfect size for your job. Hope this helps someone else in the future!