Banham Bat

Richard Grove

Hi,

My dad donated many hours helping me complete my 2B last year. Now its my turn to repay the debt by helping him to finish his project, a Banham Bat. He wanted something different that no one else had got!!!

We are well into the build, and hope to have it finished for this summer. It is a totally different project compared to a Robin Hood, but has been great fun (especially if you enjoy going wild with the angle grinder) but the doors and windows are a pig to do.

Any other Hoodies tried a Banham conversion?

What do you think of the Bat Concept car?

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Richard

Before I chose my Sub-K a Banham SuperBug was on my short list. The main reason I was thinking of building one was the fact that it was a 4 seater. Fairly important when there are more than two in the family! In the end the cost of the Sub-K swayed me and the fact that I was given two Sierra donors for free. When I've finished the Sub-K I was thinking of looking at the new Banham Speedster. I've always liked the 356 but could never afford a Chesil. I'll wait until I see one in the flesh though. I'd be interested to know how the performance has been affected when it's fully built. Is it faster than the Metro was now that it only has to lug around a fibreglass shell?

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Paul,

We are using a 1.4 GTA donor (pretty nippy in its own right) so with most of the metal work cut off it should be quite a lot ligher. I expect the performance to be pretty good but not as good as my 2B with 2L pinto.

One of my Dad's raeson's for choosing the Bat was that it was a 2+2, however now that the body work is largely in place, it is clear that there is no room in the back for a seat let alone any head/leg room. My 9 and 11 year old kids wont fit!!!!

The build is not that difficult once you figure out what your trying to do (the 2 hour instruction video makes the RHE videos look like Oscar winners), but would be very difficult to do on your own. We have lifted the rear body work on and off at least 50 times.

Richard