Superspec Wiring

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Guest rhetorical-oracle

OK! I've spent the last 2 nights flattening the battery trying to get the engine to start. Had quite a few problems at first, which I've now ironed out but I'm stumped by this last one.

Originally non of the relays were energising, but now I've got the following :

On turning the ignition to stage 1 :

Fuel relay operates, pump pressurises the system and stepper motor on the air intake operates.

ECU relay powers putting power to pin 87 of the lambda relay and to brown/pink on engine loom.

Lambda relay???

Pin 85 has 1200 ohms between it and earth when ignition is off but goes open circuit when when ignition is on then back to 1200 ohms when the ECU relay disconnects after the ignition is switched off.

The lambda relay never operates. Have tested the relay and it's fine. (Should the lambda relay be deactivated during starting?)

Turning ignition to starter engine turns over and I get sparks but no roar of life :angry:

Anyone out there have any ideas? I've rung RS on the technical helpline for what that was worth! So help! I'm running out of ideas.

Cheers,

Phill.

Guest TerryBarry

I don't think that the lambda sensor should be disconnected when starting.

If it has four wires going to it two are connected to the sensor the other two are the preheater - this is supposed to bring the operating temperture of the sensor up to the required figure in about 20 or 30 seconds.

The relay will be controlling the preheater

On the relay pins 85 & 86 are the activation coil and pins 30 & 87 are the switched contacts.

I'm afraid that's just about exhausted my knowledge

Guest bugsy

Just a thought! sorry if this sounds a bit stupid :wacko: but its all i can think it could be!

Is the Fuel out/in pipe crossed at the pump end?

If the pump is working and you are getting a spark then i guess you should get some action :blink:

Or is there fuel getting through the fuel filter (a couple of people have had trouble with the new ones which look like they have come off a truck!

Bugsy

Guest rusty

B) as far as for the lambda sensor it dosn't actually work until the heater in it reaches a certain temperature maybe this why you are getting these readings, obviously check all the earths and another obvious one are your fuel lines round the right way, I got every thing right when I first tried to start mine up much to my suprise, only to find thats all it was good luck

Rusty :o

You could check the fuel pipe return by removing it from the tank and watching for fuel.

I forget to earth the ECU the first try, but neither the fuel pump nor the throttle body energised.

I am sure that mine will start without the preheater working (fuse remobed) so you perhaps only need to check the wiring on the sensor part.

Mine coughed and spluttered for quite a while after it first fired up.

John

Hi Phil

When I got mine going I had pretty much the same problem, lots of sparks, everything seemed to activate... but no turn over..... and the problem was..... no fuel in the cylinders!!!

Yep Bugsy's "hope this doesn't sound stupid" question is EXACTLY what I'd done, got the fuel return and output lines crossed :blink: :blink: :blink:

Of course when I disconnected the fuel line and didn't get covered in petrol the penny dropped :lol: :lol: :lol:

Switched em over and ROAR.

Hope yours is as simple matey !!!!

good luck

e

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi Guys,

I think I've come to the conclusion also that it's a fuel problem.

Can you confirm which way around they should go?

I've got White outlet as feed, Red outlet as return.

I took the return pipe off last night and put it into a petrol can switched on the pump whirred but I didn't get covered in petrol, so I'm assuming I've either got them the wrong way around, or theres an air lock in the system somewhere.

Phill.

if memory serves the lines are correct.

must be an airlock, disconnect the feed and get the fuel through the filter then connect it all up again.

Broom broom. (worked for me)

Will

Hi Phil

That is the right way, white is the output, with red as the return. Bugger! :boohoo:

Are you getting petrol to the filter? ie is your pump actually pumping?

Then from the filter it hits the injection rail (i take it the rail is connected the the engine bay loom - sorry if thats another stupid question)

e

Guest Deviousdavey

Well done matey.... I had problems with a wire i had overlooked, but once I got it sorted and heard it running I was well chuffed.

Dave :p :D :p