Foreign Travel

Guest red7

Guest red7

Reading about Peter Bells trip to China reminded me of the Taxi Driver we had in Beijing. Here he is posing by our ride, I think it's a Russian Zil?

post-11-1117389640.jpg

Guest mastarforth

As previous statement, it is a copy of the old Audi.

I think as Audi moved into China, they signed an agreement with a chinese motor company and supplied the old dies to make this car! Or at least I seem to remember that is what my Chinese Boss once told me! (we had one as a company car).

They do a pretty job of finishing them though as these sometimes even had curtains in the things! (why I do not know! but I am sure you can think of reasons)

I do believe the London Cab company are in the process of putting a factory into Shanghai at the moment. Would be a long way to go to get a ride in a London Cab however, or will this be the death of yet another English car manufacturing company.

Andrew

Guest salty_monk

The Chinese did a lot of deals for old tooling.. there is a Shanghai GM based on the mk2 Astra & you can still buy a brand new boxy Jetta from VW... I suspect we'll be seeing some Rovers out there soon now too...!