Superspec Shocker

Guest Dredd

Take lots of pics of the fix, part numbers and measurements because I'm sure all of us will eventually suffer from this condition.

I think I'd better get a list going of all the things to watch out for as it's getting to long to remember.

It's just a shame that your the guinea pig Derek!

Will

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

sorry to hear about your woes dredd!

Is there any way we can claim that the provided componants (ie the shocks) are "not fit for purpose" and get RH to cover the cost of replacing all shocks supplied in the kit ? Should we move on this as a group, rather than let poor Derek have to act alone ?

e

Guest Battery Bill

E

Why are you planning to gang up on Richard?

Have you had any problems with your shocks?

I agree poor Derek has but some people have used the standard issue shocks for a long time without any problems

Why not wait and see how yours last instead of looking all "Doom and Gloom" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Will

It's just a shame that your the guinea pig Derek!

I bet you would rather Derek be the guinea pig than yourself :lol: :lol:

Dredd

Did you get the pictures?

BB

Guest Build-it
Is there any way we can claim that the provided componants (ie the shocks) are "not fit for purpose" and get RH to cover the cost of replacing all shocks supplied in the kit ? Should we move on this as a group, rather than let poor Derek have to act alone ?

Derek

Really sorry to hear about your rear shocks. I was just about to post a question about these to check which are the best replacements for me when I read your post.

You may recall my post a month or two ago in connection with the rubber doughnut fittings failing before I had even taken the car of it trestle stands when building it. All I got from Richard was a curse and rather rude reply saying that he did not carry replacements as he did not think any of us would break them and need replacements. He went on to say he could sell me a whole set of shocks (4 in total) for full price, which I not so politely rejected. It took me ages to locate a replacement rubbers and these fail after only 50 or so miles and need replacing again at about £12.00 a pair. It's the poor alignment, the uneven base and lower face and the fact that these are not at all "fit for the purpose" and were not intended to take the live weight of the car. In short they, like a lot of other parts supplied by RHSC in this "Superspec" kit, are complete rubbish and fit only for the bin !

Unless I hear from any of you helpful lot I have decided on the AVO shocks rear and front with a new bracket to take a standard 1 1/4" bonded eye at the bottom for the rear. Unlike Protech and the GAZ these are available pretty much off the shelf (and the manufacturer is within 20 miles of my house). In fact I've just this minute returned from visiting them to organise what it is I will need to order.

Reference the desire to litigate I for one am up for it, I'm fed up with the lack of assistance I have had over the past year from RHSC & in particular RS. They have not even had the decency to return to my mail or phone calls and could offer no assistance whatsoever in respect of the only SVA fail I had; the Lambda. So how do we go about it as a group then ? I wouldn't mind being reimbursed for some of the additional £2,500.00 I've forked out to build a respectable car and get the SVA. I know it is still a most economic kit but if they provided decent worthy parts and lifted the price a little I for one would be happier and would still have bought it.

Shaun

Guest Dredd

Shaun

I am sending the duff unit tomorrow. I have asked RHSC for a replacement pair, so I'll see what happens. I understand where Bill is coming from, but it can't be coincedence that two Superspec cars are experiencing the same problems in such a short space of time. Like you I think it is the alignment of the units as unlike to 2b, the shockers are offset under the roll bar and consequently the hole for the stud fixing is drill adjacent to the spring recess in the trailing arm. This means that the bush cannot sit properly.

I have chosen to go with Protech because they are much lighter than any others I have found, albeit I am looking at some Gaz units on ebay currently. As an aside, where did you source your u bracket and do you intend to plate over the recess as I suggest above. If so, what is the measurement of the rear shock you have ordered?

Derek

Guest Wick12

I think someone else had the bushes on the bottom end split before the car was on the road.You have made me think now and I must addmit that the bottom end relies on a loose fitting hole to allow the trailing arms to swing I have had the clutch problem and I bet it is not long before i wil be carrying out your mod?

Guest Battery Bill

Derek

I sent them last night, I think NTL is playing up because I have not had any emails for a couple of days :boohoo: :boohoo:

I will resend them now!

Guest rizla

:) dredd stick with the protechs,they are far more superior than gaz or avo,and as you say they are alloy,they have 13 adjustments on them but at the turn of a allen key this becomes 26,from super soft to rigid,they also get the best write up on the rgb racing site,and they give them stick,whitch is why they are standard fitment on the MNR

and thier a good price :wub:

Guest Battery Bill
whitch is why they are standard fitment on the MNR

And thats another back hander to Rilza on the way :lol: :lol: :p :p :p

up on the rgb racing site,

You are always telling us that our cars are not racing cars "Like yours" :rolleyes:

So how do you know that the

protechs,they are far more superior than gaz or avo

PS I don't get any commision from Gaz either :p :p :p

HI Bill

I'm not planning on "ganging up on Richard" (or rather Robin Hood ) and I haven't had any probs yet, as I'm still building......... BUT this isnt the first post from a super-speker about problems with the rear shocks. Following the other issue it seems that the superspec has a slightly different mount than the 2B's have.

My post was really one of offering support, from the point of: If there is a material engineering design flaw, then individuals incurring costs wouldn't be fair ..... I truely hope that this isn't a problem associated with Specs .... But I know built-it has posted a thread about having to replace his shocks.

... OH and you know, I'm not really a "all Doom and Gloom" type. I wouldn't have bought a Robin Hood would I !? ;) ;) it would have been some unchallenging snap-together-over-developed joby-whats-it :rolleyes: :D :D

I cant wait to get her ready and hit the road flat out and see what falls off :o (or otherwise) B)

Dredd/Built-it if you guys need any help or support just shout.

e