Engine Numbers

Guest cjbailey

Guest cjbailey

Ok, I just went to have a look and see if I could match the engine number to that on the V5! Well, attached should be a picture showing where I am looking! Is this (the flat plate raised from the surface) the correct place? If so then I think I may be in for some fun as there doesn't appear to be much there! The engine apparently had a rebuild, but I am wondering whether they just swapped it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-4-1056055069.jpg

Guest Angel Boy

Chris,

Does it have any numbers on at all (it is difficult to make out in the picture)? Mine was a real bu**er to read I couldn't really make it out until the engine was out and I had wire brushed it clean.

Don't know how you stand if it ain't got one :(

It's a starter for ten anyway ;)

Andy

Guest cjbailey

I am going to take a bit of cleaner to it tonight and try and wire brush it off a bit... I can't see anything at all on the little bit I have scraped off, but I will keep trying! I think someone has put neat antifreeze in the system in the past cus the paint is coming off and all the coolant pipes are new! The other side of the engine has pristine paint, but as you can see this side isn't in very good nick!

Guest TerryBarry

Yes that flat rectangular area is where it should be.

I think the engine has had a paint job - I thought that they were all black on leaving the factory

If the number has been removed - then you'll need some letter and number stamps and restore it to what's on the end of the VIN :rolleyes:

The digits on mine are about 7 - 8 mm high

I've repainted my engine and highlighted the number for the ease of officialdom

Terry

They're always difficult to read (especially when they're 10+ years old). They were never stamped very deep (so don't be too fierce or you'll obliterate them yourself) and never straight (Terry - have you re-stamped yours coz Ford never got them that neat). If you are careful you may be able to remove the paint from the flat and leave it in the numbers. At the VRO the inspector rubbed some chalk on the area and then wiped it off again leaving some in the indents of the numbers.

Iain

Guest Andy Rathbone

yes that looks like the spot where they should be!! mine where there my block is black (original) to make the numbers more prominant i smeared wet tipex over them, it does the same job as the SVA chalk. ;)

rgds andy r

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Iain,

No - that's how it came to me.

Whilst cleaning and painting the engine I did pick the muck out of them with a scriber before infilling with silver paint.

Terry.

Guest piddy

Hi.

You dont need the engine number,unless you need it to prove the age of it.

My engine was a recon and I worried a bit before SVA and registration,But I just put no number on all the forms and it went through ok.

I dont remember anyone looking for the number either.

Piddy.

Guest cjbailey

I have cleaned it up as best I can with it in situ (I will be removing the engine over the next week!). There is something there, but I cannot make it out... I will try the chalk idea, but I am not too hopeful! I tried the old 'primary school' styleeee wax crayon and bit of paper, but things were no clearer! As far as I can make out the first letter is an 'f' but it should be HP68674. Ah well, I'll find out soon enough, and if not then I shall be borrowing some stamps off my mate!