Bonnet Problems

Snapperpaul

I've read the threads, watched the tapes for the umpteenth time and have come to the conclusion that the removable scuttle is just that bit to tall. Where it meets the tub there is a slight curve. Not a problem to put a bit of wing trim in however when i try and fit the bonnet with the best will in the world it is not going to fit flush with the shell. When i push it far enough up over the scuttle it's 10 to 15mm out both sides, When it fits flush to the shell it is not supported by the scuttle, ( also pushes the nose cone about 50mm to far). I know that i will probably have to cut a bit off the nose end and will then need to form some sort of recessed support for the scuttle end. I just don't have the nerve to fix one side flush and over the scuttle and see if the other side can be pulled down...can you imagine all the holes in the metal and all that bad language......Any solutions from those that have done it?

Fit the scuttle first. You may have to alter the bends in it to get it to stand taller and narrower. It should not be fatter than the side panels. Mine had an engine bay bulkhead partialy built in already and I altered it to better brace the scuttle in the shape I wanted and pop riveted it with the heads of the pop rivets being hidden under tape for the back bonnet edge to sit on. Thus they were hidden. To get some clear idea of how good the final fit will be you can measure round the fitting faces with a tape measure, outside of the scuttle, inside of the bonnet where they will touch. If the bonnet is about 5 - 10 mm shorter it will be fine. It doesn't pull down flush to the top of the engine bay sides. You may need to do some straightening and rebending of the bonnet to get it to follow the curves of the scuttle and nose. Front fitting is the same routine. I had to cut the front edge of the bonnet shorter to get the right fit.

Nigel

Guest lussjeeper

Hi Paul, Just Back from hols - sorry to have missed you on your last trip north.

I haven't offered up the bonnet yet, but I did have real trouble with the scuttle fit as I'd made the mistake of thinking that it was correctly fabricated in the first place.

In fact it was wrongly spotwelded, leading to built in distortion on the top surface when bolted down to the tub (not really apparent until then).

For this and other reasons (including fitting a Capri clock set and wishing to be able to remove the scuttle with most of the dash connections & clocks left in situ) I chopped the lower part of the scuttle out from top clocks to heater controls and bonded reinforcement to the underside of the scuttle top surface to restore rigidity.

Usual story of everything being more complicated than you first thought.......

Will let you know how the bonnet fits...

cheers

I spent yesterday fiddling with the bonnet and it is a cr*p fit, however it is now fitted with the 4 SVA rubber catches and my solution to the gap between bonnet and engine bay is the wing pipeing that came with the kit for the swept wings which i will run down both sides from cockpit (under the removable scuttle) to nosecone ( thus the thread in "Wanted") The nosecone is now about 25mm further forward than RHE intended but fits well and looks O.K.