Rear Shocks

Guest BazzaB

Guest BazzaB

I've already logged this under construction, Doh! Great start for my first query!

Anyway I purchased my series III in November 2004. During its recent MOT the chap noted that the rear adjustable shockers were leaking and that new ones were required.

Please could anyone advise what type/model shockers I should be looking at purchasing and also whether the club has any deal with any supplier manufacturer?

Cheers

BazzaB :blink:

P.S. I'm pretty new the whole mechanical thing but am learning quickly!

The series 3 could have 1 of 2 different types of shocker fitted. (Both crappy RH Zimmerframes though!)

1 type has "eyelet" connections at both ends, the other type has a straight rod type connection (ie. the end of the damper bar is threaded)

what you need to do, is remove a shocker (simple easy job) measure it from the centre of the bottom "eyelet" to either the top of the rod, or the centre of the top eyelet, both in the closed & open position. Now contact any of the replacement shocks manufacturer or retailer, with this information, and ask them to find you a suitable replacement.

I fitted Spax units to mine many moons ago.

I've tried to find the invoice for them, but could only come up with the ones for the front (I think!) these were SPXG392 and will take the RH springs (1.9" I/D x 9" long x 180lbs...Too hard! try 130lbs for the front) If you enquire about these, they should have eyelets on both ends (larger bolts, & wider than the RH originals)

The Spax units that I got for the backs (rod type) needed longer springs than the original 9" long ones, they had to have 11" long springs x 170lbs.

Whilst you're sorting out the shockers, you really need to strengthen up the mounting area's for the back shockers, it just isn't adequate, and will tear the bolts out of the "chassis" top in time.

post-10-1122320566.jpg

Guest stu205

and by the looks of it type 2 has a small box section where a bolt holds the top of the shock

43940633.jpg

these were protec ones if you want ill get the details for you they were quite inexpensive and they made them with a bearing top mount as the box section is only about an inch wide and then they put polly bush bottom mount so i only needed one washer instead of the 15 i took off!!

They look good Nigel, I have copied your info and may go that route with mine, have you found the need to modify the supports as Big Jim has done?

and what spec are you going for when you replace the Fronts?

Hi Paul,

I have not modified the supports at all, they have done the job without any problems so far (11,000 miles).

The fronts shocks don't seem to take as much stress as the rears so I don't intend changing them yet as they seem to be OK at the moment.

post-10-1123098517.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

I read the first post on this thread and almost died laughing. I'm in exactly the same position....and also a bit of a novice too.

I have a RH Exmo.....and my rear shock failed their MOT due to the leaking!! How weird is that!! Any ideas what an Exmo takes?? How easy is it to remove the shocks...can anyone give me a step by step guidleine??

Cheers,

G

Not to worry sorted the problem now....had to take them off the car measure them open and closed etc and then rang demon tweaks for some replacements.

Cheers,

Graeme

Was desperate....and demon tweaks was the only place that could help me. I went to Ford and they told me they could get the shock but without the coil over leaving me with no springs....I also went to 4 other garages and a tyre place and they were all clueless as to what to put on there!!

RH in Nottingham were not that helpful either. They did not give me the specs of the shocks but instead offered me their replacements...then told me they had none in stock for a month or more!!

Last option!!

Graeme