Rear Wishbones

Guest jimlad71

Guest jimlad71

Hi Guys,

Just need a little advice. I am trying to remove the rear wishbones from the rear hubs so I can paint them. The haynes manual is confusing me on how to remove the hub carrier. Thought I would ask on here before going out buying tools

I have rear discs, not drums.

So do I remove the Hub nut (what size is it by the way??) and use a flange puller??

TIA

Jim

Guest gordon_macnab

Jim,

It's quite simple no need for any special tools, just remove the driveshafts and then loosen the hub nut (41mm) then knock the hub through and it will all come apart. Remember one side (passenger I think) is left hand thread.

Gordon

Guest chris brown

You need a good socket and a method of holding the hub still as they are very tight at 290 Nm so the initial cracking off torque is greater than this. If the hub is still on the car then handbrake on, in gear and wheel chocked will work. If not then put wheel nuts on and use a bar trapping it between two studs towards one end, then with the other end on the ground the nut can be undone but be careful nothing slips as it is an easy way to loose skin off your knuckles. And that makes you :gdit: then :boohoo:

Jim,

I think the Haynes manual also recommends replacing the hub nuts if they have been removed. I found these weren't expensive, even from my local Ford dealer, just a thought to be safe.

Just to confirm Gordons comment, the passenger side is left hand thread. It took me a good couple of minutes to figure this out, you do feel a bit of a wally when your missus suggests that you might be turning the nut the wrong way!!

Al

Guest chris brown

If you are changing the bearings then you will get a new nut in the box as well (some manufactures supply 2 nuts and only have one part number others supply 1 nut and have different part numbers for off and near side)

Guest Charles B

Jim, If all you want to do is paint the wishbones, then just undo the four bolts holding the hub to the wishbone, and the drive shaft will fit through the hole in the wishbone, unless yoou want to change the bearings as well, then do as the rest say.

Guest chris brown
If all you want to do is paint the wishbones, then just undo the four bolts holding the hub to the wishbone, and the drive shaft will fit through the hole in the wishbone
No it wont Charles he has discs and lobro (spelling) joints which are bigger.