Mini Radiator

Guest ianjenn

Guest ianjenn

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that a mini radiator has been used with success in a 2b. (can't bloody remember where though). Has anyone got any pictures of how it could be mounted and will it cool a 2.0l pinto.

Finally could it be mounted side on or is that just daft and would it need an expansion chamber.

cheers

alex

Guest TerryBarry

I'm sure the one you are thinking of is Daz (Johnson)

Now - here is where I demonstrate my lack of understanding of the workings of this board.

I think that you need to look for item #2486 and subsequent replies

It was posted under Chassis on 11/5/03 - Use the search - this info should track it down

I'm sure that Mat could explain it better ;) ;)

He used a modern four core Mini radiator - not an ex Scrappy job

When you think where the original Mini rad was placed in the car it relied completely on fan blown air - there was no ram effect cooling.

The Mini was fitted with up to 1275cc engines ( ex BMC) - although they generally ran a bit cooler than Fords of the same year.

I'm puzzled why you would want to fit it on it's side.

HTH

Terry

Guest Angel Boy

This might help

Click Here

Terry,

To get a link find the thread you want to point to. In the address bar at the top copy all of the address inc the "http://" bit. Then type url=(paste the address) sorounded in [] brackets then type something like "Click Here" then /url again in [] brackets. What will be displayed will be text saying click here that points to the thread. Hope that makes sense.

Andy

Ian,

I was that man. And the whole ensemble does work; in fact it works a treat. The whole engine is kept cooler than it did with the Cortina engine and cooler even that it was in the donor car with a proper Sierra engine. Although I fitted a 4-core radiator as I was worried about the effect, I now reckon that a bog-standard mini radiator would keep it cool enough.

Daz

• 2 months later...
Guest trevor hooley

just pop into your local radiator fabricators,(mines in morecambe), and order a twin core made 2 measure rad. mines all in copper, with different size inlets and outlets (to match top hose and water pump). ace radiators charged me £60 inc vat and i got a 12month garuntee. car runs at 80deg normally and queing through rush hour traffic in harrogate only moved the gauge to 90deg

karl

Guest GeordieJim

I am about to do the same thing. I have got a Mini 4 core radiator off Ebay (about £40) and an expansion bottle off a Metro (£2 scrappy) , which I reckon will fit a treat. I also got a small puller fan off, I think, a small Fiat, may have been a Panda, which fits the cowl on the Mini radiator just fine.

I was going to fit it on its side as well as its fits better that way. Can't see any problems it will be operated as a pressurised system with filling the system done via the expansion tank so the radiator cap doesn't need to be touched.

I haven't sorted out control of the fan yet, but I think I'll use a switch off something like a Fiesta and make up a tee piece to fit in the top hose.

If you don't have the facilities to make up a "T" piece to go into the top hose (22mm thread) them premier wiring do a varied selection of "T" pieces to fit any size hose, also they do a selection of temp switches to fit, but both the Fiesta & Vauxhall ones will fit (But a bit too hot in my opinion, OK for emergencies) See any of the kitcar mags for their advert.