Exhaust Manifold

Al Milton

Hi there,

This is my first post so here goes, hopefully it is in the right section. I am building a SuperSpec with the Rover 2ltr lump and am having trouble getting the exhaust manifold to seat correctly. There is a gasket in place, (thin metal one). Even with the nuts tightened fully there is still movement on the manifold, like a pillock I have managed to remove one of the mounting studs by overtightening a bolt and can't get the nut off!! There are no protrusions from the flush side of the manifold that could be causing this as I have removed all of the offending protrusions of pipework

The easiest option seems to me to space out with washers, but has anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers

Al

Guest Bazwaz

Hi Al,

Welcome! Although i can't help you with this problem i'm sure someone can. In the meantime can i suggest you fill in your location, you never know someone may live in your area.

Cheers Barry.

Guest Battery Bill

Al

I have managed to remove one of the mounting studs by overtightening a bolt and can't get the nut off!!

Nuts, Bolts ? :blink: How many things have you got holding your manifold (Loosly) on :rolleyes: :D

Do you mean one of the studs has come off with the nut stuck on it, or has the stud snapped ?

Hopefully its the former :D :D

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Al,

I'm building a Pinto engined 2B - I'm sure one of the SS builders will help you out.

For what it's worth, here's my twopenneth :-

I assume that RH have supplied you with a manifold to fit to the Rover engine.

With mine the manifold flange was somewhat thinner than the Ford one therefore thick washers were required to ensure that the flange was clamped up properly before the nuts locked out onto the studs.

Guest chris brown

As Terry says use thick washers so as the nuts don’t bottom out. This is a common problem on any engine when changing from a cast iron manifold to a fabricated four branch.

Thanks for the responses chaps. Barry, I am in Kent and been in touch with Will on this.

Battery Bill, there are two mounting studs, one of which I have managed to remove with the nut on and the rest are bolts. Don't know why there is a selection, must be to aid fitting the manifold I suppose

Terry & Chris, i'll try thick washers.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Al

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave.....

I only know what I know because I pestered the good people on this site :wub: come to think of it... I'm still pestering them :D :D

Al did ask me about his manifold problems but I was unable to help. :wacko:

Will