Robin Hood Lightweight.

Guest v8cortina

Guest v8cortina

Hi,

I am seriously considering buying the new Robin Hood Lightweight to build with my son. I have already purchased and stripped the donor car, a 1989 Sierra 2.0 GL. Anyone out there bought one who can advise me if they are happy with it?

Any advise comments would be grateful. :)

Many Thanks.

Thierry

I collected mine the other week, but haven't started building it yet :huh:

On first seeing the aluminium supplied for the chassis, I did think it looked

kind of thin, but having no experience in engineering specification of metal

components, I suppose that's just my gut reaction. :wacko: After watching

some of the build DVDs, I did start to warm to the idea of the method of chassis

construction and I'm now feeling that it's all gonna be ok :D

They supply you with two pieces of 8' by 4' chip board to build the chassis on.

One piece is used whole and the other you cut up and build a bit of a jig. Nothing

complicated, but you do have to have a means to get nice straight cuts into an

awkwardly large piece of board!

I think the components still need work doing on them to tidy up all of the burred

edges, but it's all there and no one ever said a building a £2000 car was going to

be a piece of cake :p

I don't want to put you off or build your hopes up, V8, but I can see a LOT of hard

work ahead and plenty of snags along the way, but then again I don't see why I or anyone can't make a perfectly decent car out of that kit, given the time, space and motivation ;)

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Pete

Guest v8cortina

Many thanks for your reply. Very useful information Pete, much appreciated. :) I am hoping to visit them in the next two weeks to view the car. Will this make my mind up?!? <_< They estimate about £3k is reasonable to get one of these Lightweights on the road. What do you think?

Thanks again

Thierry

are there any pictures of a finished lightweight? i take it these are sparce versions of the 2b with no carpets or trimmings etc?

Ive got the robinhood catalogue with a few pics but wondered if there where any more on the interweb!

Guest docter fox

not many pics on the interweb but I'll have a look on my computer at home to find some pictures I've taken at shows

the lightweight is a completely different car, its a lightweight monocoque chassis and is riveted together, I think they have more details on the website?

do a search on here to find out everything that's been said