Loophole

Guest Mr Pid

Guest Mr Pid

After perusing through the SVA manual Minty kindly sent me i was sat there looking through the classifieds of KitCar mag and i suddenly though of something that may get you out of the SVA.

Im not sure if it is feasalbe, probably not legal but i thought id share it with you lot.

Now say you have built your own Hood and either a) Cant be arsed to put it through the SVA or B) have put it though and it has failed miserably and you dont think it will ever be on the road.

You could in theory buy another Hood from the classifieds, already registered etc, and then transfer the ID to your Hood and then remove all tell tale signs of ID from the old car, put this one back in for an SVA and then give it a new identity and sell it on again!?

Your Hood would have the old car's ID and you could be on the road in no time.

I wouldnt recomend this for any one in particular because the SVA for me is piece of mind rather than red tape and grief.

Any thoughts or am i just rambling?

Stu :rolleyes:

Good idea,

There could be an 'SVA' perfect car owned by a club, members of that club could borrow it, rivet there own chassis number on it and take it for SVA.

Then once passed, put the number back on there own unsafe car and give the club car back.

Sorted :p

Guest Andy Rathbone

I dont want to be a kill joy in anyway but it all sounds too much like "ringing" and i'm sure an SVA test centre may get wise seeing the same car a few times with different numbers on!! i'm sure they would find a way of detecting it and persicuting you for this activity, PRISON and worse VEHICAL CONFISCATION :o (forced take away type thing, spelling was never my strong point).

But it sounds like a realy good way round the SVA Another way is build a bubble car!!! they come under the weight limit! ;)

When SVA first came out, the price of old Duttons shot through the roof.

Anyone guess why?

Yep, already registered Duttons suddenly began to look like other more

recent 7s.

A quick notification of engine change to DVLA, put the Dutton VIN and number plate on your new car & who's any the wiser when you scrap the Dutton & sell

the parts on?.

Definitely illegal tho....

Hi guys,

I did post something to this effect some time ago. Basically it can be a perfectly legal way to by-pass SVA.

What you would need to do is build a new vehicle (i.e. for most of our purposes a Hood) using enough parts from a registered donor vehicle to qualify for it's ID (remember the points system pre SVA). The vehicle is then considered to be the original vehicle with new parts fitted (yes even the chassis). Even then it must go through SVA unless (and here's our loophole) the body style hasn't changed and the appearance has not significantly changed (we could do it with the Sierra if a Hood was a 5 door hatch and looked like a Sierra). Now with a Dutton or similar we would meet these requirements and be legal so long as we genuinely have used enough of the Dutton's parts. Quite a bit of work so it's probably easier to pass SVA. Also to my knowlege Dutton never used the Sierra as a donor so only good for an older Hood that wasn't registered at the time. Using a perfect SVA Hood would again be legal so long as you physically transfer enough parts to the "new" vehicle. So long as you genuinely have done this you are perfectly legal to present the original SVA'd Hood for another test and obtain a new ID. The tester would almost certainly not like it but so long as you can prove the transfer of all the necessary parts then you would be able to force him to test the "new" vehicle (probably only after many arguments and letters to the DVLA though). Expect a stringent and "picky" test because this is certain to annoy them.

For interest and from memory I think you would have to transfer the following.

Engine

Transmission

Axles (the rear one and the front two stub axles)

Steering (column and rack)

Brakes

A big job but probably only a couple of weekends worth since they have all been on and off recently so no rusty bolts. All these parts must be transferred in their entirity but new parts of the same spec are allowed to be considered as transferred - probably because there is no way for them to prove that it wasn't fitted to the donor shortly before the re-incarnation.

If people start doing this and the testers get "wise" then expect to see the loophole closed quick smart. I narrowley missed out on this because they didn't have the clause about the body style and appearance changing when I got my Hood but some people did it with the Sierra ID and the loophole was tightened. The type of knee-jerk reaction they have to things like this tends to make things more difficult for everyone in the future.

Have fun looking for registered Sierra based sevens.

Iain

Guest morty

Iain,

are you sure they haven't closed that loophole already? My dad was looking into reshelling scrappers (rolled/chassis jigging jobs) and sent off for some info from't DVLA.

I'm pretty sure that even if you don't change appearance, it still needs SVAing.

I'll check it again

Morty

Were you planning to use new shells? If the shells were new and could be proved so then you'd qualify for the original ID from the bent shell. If the shell is second-hand you need an SVA test and will get a Q-plate. In my examples the "new" Hood gets the identity of the SVA'd one under these rules

In order to retain the original registration mark:

Cars and Car-Derived Vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or

A new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer/manufacturer (e.g. receipt)

And two other major components from the original vehicle - see list below

Suspension (front & back)

Axles (both)

Transmission

Steering Assembly

Engine

If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a Standard Single Vehicle Approval test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated

Lifted from the DVLA website.

A new chassis of the same spec from Robin Hood and the engine and box from the SVA car would allow our new Hood to be considered the original car re-built rather than a kit conversion. The SVA car is now left without an ID so it has to go through SVA (last paragraph but we know it would pass because it just has) and be given a Q-plate (because a second hand chassis has now been used). The whole thing can now be done again - alright everything but the first ID are Q-plates but hey no SVA tests and by the letter of the law it's legal.

If you were prepared to lie then the SVA car could be said to have a new chassis each time you just say that it has the chassis on the receipt for the new kit. You would avoid a Q-plate until the last time where you don't have a new chassis waiting in the wings. Naughty so I don't recommend it.

Iain

Guest mark kingston

well my experiance of SVA is that every centre and in deed inspector has different standards so you would probable end up with the already past kit failing time and time again ..... there by making the whole dodgy buisness totally un worth while.

and of course once word got around the inspectors this was going on it would probably fail at re test after re test also just to get the point across that they don't like people taking the micky.

these are just my thoughts and i don't mean to offend but would suggest you buckle down go for SVA and IF it fails do as they ask and it will pass.

regards

Mark kingston