More Capri Instument Questions

Mat-Moo

Anyone know a quick way of zeroing the meter on it? I did this on my old sierra ones (only had 11000 on them as it had been clocked) but whacking a drill on it in reverese... but this one has a lot more and would take ages!

Guest MikeD318

You could take it apart and reset the meter manually but then I think it's hard to get the numbers to line up correctly afterwards and it never looks quite right.

Guest Taffy Rob

I did this on mine (took it apart etc), and it looks fine - you need to be VERY careful :blink: but its more a patience and concentration thing than any specific skill! The hardest part - not snapping the prongs that hold the speedo in place.

I cant remember exactly but theres a little catch thing that holds them in place - if you pull this out first you can move the wheels gently without disturbing them, put the catch type thing back on and they line up perfectly. Rather than force them round type thing. If that makes sense (it doesnt to me reading it back to myself!)

Rob

p.s. this was with Sierra clocks but I would guess Capri ones fit together and work in much the same way.

Guest boggie

Mat,

I did this last night so the new odometer reads the same mileage as the one I am replacing it with in the Hood - very easy.

Take the clear plastic off the clocks, then the front black bezel.

Make a note of the mileage so you can work out which line is displayed once you remove the barrel.

Undo the two securing screws on the back of the speedo and take it out. Inside the back you will notice that the odometer barrel is mounted on a central spindle. There is a small metal clip at one end holding this in place which you pull off, note that it has two small 'wrap around' bits at the rear which you will need to lift with a small screwdriver to enable you to slide it off. Lift the barrel out.

Now very carefully, starting with the inner ring (miles as opposed to thousands at the other end) turn the ring by hand. This take quite a bit of force so take it easy and at the same time support the little plastic clips with your other hand. Do this until they all say '0' miles. Note that the line that is displayed in the speedo window is the line directly inbetween the metal locating bits that stick out from the barrel.

When refitting the barrel make sure these metal bits all sit on the rear of the speedo face or like me when I did it on the Sierra clock, you may end up with a reading of '99999'! Lastly slide the little retaining clip over the end of the spindle and put the case back together.

Should take you about 10 minutes and it works just fine - I did this on the existing Sierra speedo and it now reads 8500 miles with no line-up problem etc. If you are worried then you can do the reverse drill thing but it will take a while!

Boggie.

I used a set of Capri clocks when I built my Series III six years ago. I stripped out one of the electric motors from the donor Sierra door mirror. I attached this to the speedo drive and wired it up to an adjustable power supply.

I adjusted the voltage to give a speedo reading of about 100 mph and left it running for days until the mileage wound forward to zero.

The only problem I had was interference on the telly from the motor!

Guest Mr Pid

I went for the drill route.

I had a spare drill which i rigged up with a bracket and a bit of old speedo cable, left it on for a few hours with the aid of ear defenders and a walkman, you will never even know its there while you carry on with something else.

Its load of effort but hey- i plan to make a new dash very soon, possibly even with capri clocks, did you get yours off ebay? are they in good condition?

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest boggie

Yes, got mine from ebay - £5! They are in perfect working condition apart from 1 bulb which I replaced and the seller had even given them a good clean - looked like new!