Rear Hand Brake

Guest nightracer35

Guest nightracer35

i am not sure how to shorten the hand brake cable on my series 3a. i wanted to use the 2 handbrake adjusters, but not sure how to shorten the cable?? (i dont like the idea of cutting the end off the cable as it is the sort for disks) any help greatly needed.

many thanks

ron

I have the drums on mine and have shortend one end of the cable, however i am going to use 2 cables so i can have more adjustment and will cut the 2 cables use a welder to put a blob on the cut end, loop the 2 cables over the equaliser and use small cable clamps and possibly some sort of wire wipping. not fully sure yet.

ron

when i shortened the cable on mine i didnt fancy the "smack it with a big hammer and get your numbest mate to test it" method so i took it along to the local chandlers (like a car spares shop but for boats for those of us with no sea legs) who make up steel cables in different sizes.

he cut it to length and pressed on a new ferrule with a twenty ton press for £5 - proper job.

steve

Guest chris brown

I cut the cable in half then passed both ends through the bellcrank on the end of the lever mechanism in opposite directions and clamped them together with two cable clamps on each side as like most i didn’t like the idea of moving a nipple.

Guest salty_monk

Like most??

I would have thought he'd be in the minority :p (depending on the nipple of course! ) :lol:

Does direction of movement matter, you know clockwise or anti clockwise or is it just out full stop?? :p :lol:

I used 3 of them just to be safe. Make sure you use small nylok nuts to keep me SVA man happy.

They haven't failed me yet, it's the same method as Mr Brown has shown in his piccy. I was not happy with cutting the nipple off either.

Will

(send me your email address and I'll dig one out)

I'd bite :o , er i mean cut :lol: the nipple off everytime.

I cut it with a junior hacksaw (cable fitted to the car). Then held the end of the cable with mole grips, with about 5 - 10 mm of cable sticking up. I dropped a smal nut on the end and blobbed (technical term) a bit of weld on the end. B) B) B) .

I guess it would be even easier wih the cable off the car but I'm a lazy sod at times. ;)

P.S I never cut enough off the first time and ended up chopping a few more inches off, to get a good amount of adjustment. I guess the clamp method is easier to tighten as you will not have to take the rear brakes apart.

Good luck

Macca