Gear Stick Gater

Guest Peter n the better half

Guest Peter n the better half

Does anyone have an old leather or sewn pvc gearstick gater that they could open out for a pattern and email the results please.....?

meezahere@hotmail.com

I tried the shape above, but couldn't get anywhere with it. I think it works well if the stick protrudes a long way, but not if it's lower - I was looking for a gaiter which stays pretty much horizontal rather than climbing up the stick. The one I ended up with is made from 4 triangles. That pretty much describes it.

Ant

Guest paul thompson

I got a gear stick gaiter from Newark for 2 quid! Bargain! It was way too long but the design was such that you could cut it to length, I have taken about 2" off my gear stick so also needed one that would work like that mentioned above. I'll try and draw what it looks like and paste it on here

Guest Jim Castle

I got a leather gaiter from a show for about a fiver, then had it cut down and stitched by a local cobbler who refused payment because the job was interesting. Looks great and really finishes the car off.

Jim

You actually want the gaiter to be "too long" as what you do, is push the excess down into the hole (which needs to be big enough) so that when you change gear, say 1st to 4th, the gaiter isn't pulled tight.

PHOTO posted as promised!

post-5-1058470354.jpg

Guest Andy Rathbone

once you've made a pattern from newspaper circular, triangles whatever, you can get the leather you need quite cheeply from a charity shop, leather jackets and other clothing V cheep and a warm glow that your helping people less fortunate. sewing leather can be done by hand, machine is far quicker but dont forget to use the correct needle!! :)