Shakin' Brakin'

Guest timswait

My twin front disks warped on one of my old motorbikes because the brakes were binding (Honda VF 750).

£500 for the pair! no patent parts available :o .

After riding around with no front brakes for some time I got some off an old CB900 second hand for £50.

My last ride on a motorbike (Yam FJ1100) I used a Mini to stop me, worked more effective than the brakes I was tugging on at the time. Trouble is, things did get bent in the process, including me!

Guest Battery Bill

Jim

What exactly were you "tugging on".

You could get yourself arrested for this type of behaviour.

Keep your hands on the handlebars in future.

You can spot a seized caliper by jacking up the wheel and turning it by hand, it will have a bit of resistance but you need to know what a good one feels like to know a bad one (just like a women :D ).

I spoted a seized caliper in my old Cavalia by the smell (no I'm not going to say it :D ) the wheel was realy hot compaired to the others so I checked it, it was binding like a goodun!

About 1000 miles later after I'd fixed it, the wheel bearing went. I suspect that the greese had been dried out by the heat.

Also, if the brakes 'squeek' when you are driving and not braking then you may have a sticky one. (no comment :D ).

When you come to fit new pads and disks you have to push the piston back into the caliper to accomodate the extra material. It should push in with a G clamp and be very smooth. If it's rough or hard to push in then it's siezed.

Ant