Starter Motor Issue

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

hey guys, i wired the battery up to the starter motor on my zetec tonight and tried turning it over just to check the starter, which is a brand new LRS707 (which i was told to get) but the starter is spinning up fine (well it sounds like it) but it isnt engaging with the flywheel atall, its not crunching or anything when i try to start, the starter motor just spins and the revs pick up as its not driving anything. the starter is just bolted straight into the type 9 housing theres nothing inbetween to get in the way. any ideas?

Guest nurburg2006
hey guys, i wired the battery up to the starter motor on my zetec tonight and tried turning it over just to check the starter, which is a brand new LRS707 (which i was told to get) but the starter is spinning up fine (well it sounds like it) but it isnt engaging with the flywheel atall, its not crunching or anything when i try to start, the starter motor just spins and the revs pick up as its not driving anything. the starter is just bolted straight into the type 9 housing theres nothing inbetween to get in the way. any ideas?

Hi there if the starter sounds like its spinning at a high rpm then its not engaging on the flywheel

Guest mcramsay
Hi there if the starter sounds like its spinning at a high rpm then its not engaging on the flywheel

"but it isnt engaging with the flywheel atall"

i already said that....

Guest chelcott

i know this sounds stupid but is solenoid pushing worm gear forward try on battery to prove?

Guest mcramsay
i know this sounds stupid but is solenoid pushing worm gear forward try on battery to prove?

i will have to take the starter off tomorrow and connect it up to the battery. all i can think is that the gear isnt popping out and meshing on the flywheel. it is a brand new unit though.... i take it the best way forward is to connect it up to the battery and watch it actually working to prove it is sound? although i cant see any other problem...haha unless my flyweel isnt on propperly which thankfully i dont think is the case

Guest boggybogstar

as Doddy said, take it out and try it, spinnings one thing but make sure its throwing, if it is then measure the throw and see if its enough to engage your flywheel - if not then Im afraid its the wrong one - i used one from a 1.8 CVH for your set up

i will have to take the starter off tomorrow and connect it up to the battery. all i can think is that the gear isnt popping out and meshing on the flywheel. it is a brand new unit though.... i take it the best way forward is to connect it up to the battery and watch it actually working to prove it is sound? although i cant see any other problem...haha unless my flyweel isnt on propperly which thankfully i dont think is the case

just put it in a vice or you foot on it they move abit when you do it

Guest mower man

Are you using the loom on the car or feeding the starter direct? it sounds as if the solenoid is not being accuated

1 batt live to big term on starter

2 small wire which should go live when key is turned to start goe's to small tag on solenoid ,it will drop to 0 volts when you release key this is if you are using the loom !

3 if you are going direct to the starter with jump leads you need to use a small jumper to bring the sol [short peice of wire from +lead to small tag ] into action once you remove it the starter will stop ok HTH mower man :good: :yahoo: :clapping: BE blo--- carefull OK

Guest mcramsay

yeah im using the wire on the loom so im turning the starter over from the key position 3. the starter motor is the one that every one has suggested on here. also on other zetec to type 9 conversion websites they all mention the same one, bugger this im off out to have a look tonight, its only 3 bolts!

Guest mcramsay
yeah im using the wire on the loom so im turning the starter over from the key position 3. the starter motor is the one that every one has suggested on here. also on other zetec to type 9 conversion websites they all mention the same one, bugger this im off out to have a look tonight, its only 3 bolts!

righty ho, took 20 mins, starter motor is off, i did a test with all the loom wires connected and the battery cables connected, just as it would be on the engine, turned the key and the starter is spinning but the gear isnt popping forward. heres a pic of the solenoid and the connections im using, have i wired it up wrong or is it *bleep*ed?

4ffa4a5d.jpg

the large connection on the left has the brown loom wires and the large positive wire from the battery. (the letters BATT) printed beside it

the blackish connection on the right has the 12v from position 3 on the key (the letters STA) beside it

the top silvery terminal (if it is a terminal? it had no nut on it unlike the other two) has nothing on it should it be used?

if it is the motor thats buggered i bought it from a company on ebay last month, they are a big alternator/starter company will i be entitled to an exchange? as the unit they sold me is faulty (well maybe, if i havnt wired it wrong)

Guest Jomeo69

as the right hand nut has a connection from the solenoid to (Hence STA) the starter motor itself on it. i thought that the wire that comes from the ignition switch goes to the small connector at the top.

thats what i think i have done with ours. but maybe a different make.

HTH

Joe