Rust On Welds

steve1506

Guest marcus
I have at last restarted my 2B build, and I am cuurently cleaning the welds of the SS chassis to remove minor surface rust etc. Once cleaned what should I use to add protection and stop the rust reforming

not sure what you would use to stop rust , but only use st / st wire brush or st / st wire wool to clean welds , then give a light rub with very fine emery paper .

Guest Alex Spratt

Not sure if u want to keep the chassis unpainted e.g shine steel, but if you do just spray all the welds with a couple of layers of clear laquer. probable best to do the whole of the roll bar, spare wheel tube and light stands.

There is enough salt on the roads in winter to cause any exposed stainless chassis to get anything between spots of rust and total rust coverage. Of course its only minor surface rust, but it looks unsightly. You can either apply regular polishing, or laquer/paint. On my second 2B/4 I am using paint, polishing on the first 2B/4 is just too much work! I am using Rally Designs range of poly wheel paints because they should be durable. I quite like the Rally Silver. I am using 2 coats of primer, 4 colour coats and then 6 coats of laquer.

Hi all, isn't nearly all the rust formed when the car is in the garage?-- that is after it's been out in the rain. So after cleaning make it bone-dry with a de-humidefier & turn it on every time you come back in. Expensive? not if you cost your time & effort in keeping car pristine. Answers on a (small) post-card please. Regards Bob Fry :unsure:

Guest TerryBarry

According to the BBC News website - following up on the Minneapolis bridge collapse

"The Forth Road Bridge is having an £8m dehumidification to dry out the cables, after engineers recorded the sound of wires snapping inside seven layers of waterproofing. And the Severn Bridge is getting a similar £20m "blow-dry".

I'm not too worried re' my Hood chassis