7 replies to this topic

#1 nelmo

nelmo

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 489 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

I've got Intatrim seats on universal runners but they're quite wobbly. I think this is because they are effectively sitting on the 4 nuts that go through the floor, rather than being flat to the floor, if that makes sense.

What I mean is, after fixing the runners to the seats, I put a bolt through the runner with a nut to tighten it against the runner. Then that bolt goes through the floor to the final nut and washer underneath.

If I don't have that nut, I can't tighten the nut underneath but that nut is, i think, causing the wobble.

Is this normal? Have I got this right or am I doing something wrong?

#2 IanS

IanS

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 463 posts
  • Car type:exmo

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

The floor needs proper reinforceing where the bolts go through the floor.

I have 1inch angle iron spreading the load.

I have a bolt through the runner clamped with a nut then a second nut to a penny washer and through the floor to the angle iron where it has a further nut to clamp the angle firmly.

The 2 nuts either side of the floor allow some adjustment to get the seat level.

The angle iron is further bolted to the floor in several places spreading the load.

#3 RichardL

RichardL

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,665 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero GT

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

Try this, I just re worked my seat bolts when they had worn down on the outside;  

Now inside I have a normal hex bolt which locks into the rail, half nut to keep the bolt in place and a 3mm thick 50x50mm plate washer to spread the load.

So - no higher than the prescribed single nyloc, but more stable IMHO

IMG_1431.jpg

More detail here:
 Re-install seats 

To be clear - the standard - upside down nyloc, washer, floor, washer nyloc approach prescribed by GBS lasted me fine for 18k miles - I just modified it a bit when I came to re-install the bolts.

If I could have found an off the shelf round plate washer instead of square, I would have probably gone for that, or ideally a captive nut in the rail so I could bolt up from the outside! - its all compromise right?

Edited by RichardL, 18 May 2017 - 06:58 AM.

GBS Zero GT, Zetec 2.0
Build: May 2012 - June 2013 Links: Build Blog, YouTube Channel

Posted Image

#4 RichardL

RichardL

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

+ just noticed from your blog picture

Put the washers next to the floorpan - i.e. on the inside of the car that nyloc is just to give clearance and stop the bolt falling out during installation - the penny washer needs to be next to the floor rather than next to the runner.

GBS Zero GT, Zetec 2.0

Posted Image

#5 nelmo

nelmo

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thanks guys - so do your seats still wobble a bit or are they rock solid?

#6 nelmo

nelmo

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

+ just noticed from your blog picture

Put the washers next to the floorpan - i.e. on the inside of the car that nyloc is just to give clearance and stop the bolt falling out during installation - the penny washer needs to be next to the floor rather than next to the runner.

Arrgh, you're right! Why didn't I realise? Many thanks... and I'll get those bigger washers.

#7 RichardL

RichardL

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Well you can move them say +-5-10mm, if you really try,  same way you can flex the floor by jumping on it.

But I wouldn't characterise that as 'wobbly' ... ?

Ideal world again, GBS would shape the floorpans - a couple of indentations wouldn't go amiss for stability.

GBS Zero GT, Zetec 2.0

Posted Image

#8 IanS

IanS

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 463 posts
  • Car type:exmo

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

my seats are about as stable as Richard describes