Shortened Sump

Guest jasonmorris

Guest timswait

Also is the RS2000 a cast ali one? The cast ali ones tend to crack if you thump one, the shortened ones survive with only a dent and a scrape. Even being the level of the gearbox mine still has the odd scrape on it, but (touch wood!) it doesn't leak.

I have an RS/2000 sump. I gave it a good wack two weeks ago and made a small hole. It was easy to weld up though.

I think you need a sump guard whichever sump you have. I would obtain an RS/2000 or shortened sump, whichever is easier/cheaper to get hold of and then fit a guard.

Guest chris brown
Thanks for the info guys, is it the usual Burtons etc for the sump guard?

Also what about raising the suspension slightly?

Jason

Sump guards tend to be different for each model and for that matter car to car so making your own is by far the best bet.

As for raising the suspension. Yes of cause it can be done but at the cost of handling, which surely is what the car is all about, as well as looking rather strange IMHO

As for raising the suspension. Yes of cause it can be done but at the cost of handling, which surely is what the car is all about, as well as looking rather strange IMHO

I think I'd rather risk a biff on the sump than get the suspension wrong. Leaking oil isn't going to cost you your life.

Guest salty_monk

th_RobinHood023.jpg

th_RobinHood021.jpg

th_RobinHood019.jpg

Clickable for big pics

From my sliding pillock model. Standard sump.. did about 4,500 miles & two track days, no probs. Have shortened one on new one & guard is on the list of jobs....

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk
ps I think almost every sump I've ever seen looks a lot shallower than Salty's original!

That's me.... very deep :lol:

It's a standard 2.0 injection sump painted black.

Dan :)

Guest timswait
I think I'd rather risk a biff on the sump than get the suspension wrong. Leaking oil isn't going to cost you your life.

Neither is having the ride height a bit high! And a leaking CV boot did send Dave Tilson off the track and up a fence at Barkston, if his excuses are to be believed. ;) You probably won't notice an inch higher in terms of handling, but you will in terms of grounding. I run mine as low as I can without it grounding too frequently, there's a particulary bouncy road in the peak district I use for testing this out! :D