Front Brake Seal Kits

Guest Battery Bill

Guest Battery Bill

Anyone know where to get a seal kit for the front brake calipers?

My local factors do not have our calipers 1989 2Ltri listed they have everything else, Typical.

Cheers

I bought some from Part Co, and then returned them because the bores were buggered too. To be honest I'd recommend new calipers, but the choice is yours.

However ... there is a legal issue involved here.

Garages selling brake seal kits are selling "existing stock" only. Thanks to European law and the "nanny state" they are not allowed to re-stock in brake seals because lots of people crash their cars after fitting them with a screwdriver :unsure:

It's true ... brake seal kits are a thing of the past. You might still be able to buy some at the moment, but in a few years time they'll be gone forever!

Ant

Bill,

I've just phoned my local motor factors up, they are £23 plus VAT, each, exchange (ie, he needs a pair of old calipers, but it doesn't matter what they are off) he will post them at cost if you want them.

His Phone number is 01772 2322571 (New city motor factors)

Jim

Guest Battery Bill

Cheers Jim

I will phone him tomorrow. I was thinking of going down the replacement caliper route. Kit-fit of Newark wanted £37 each. bit of a difference eh.

I will let you know how I get on

Joeys away with his school this week. He has warned me not to do anything big on the build only nif naff boring bits so he does not miss anything exciting.

see you

Yeah, Jim's right.

The exchange units look much nicer (usually electroplated) and are very cheap. Take a look at the pictures on the bottom of my build page here : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon_bradbury/index.htm

..and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I thought kit-fit only supply parts from breakers (ie, second hand as opposed to properly reconditioned). And their parts are expensive - you'd be better off down the local scrappy's place IMHO.

Cheers

JonB

Guest Battery Bill

Hi all

I have just finished telling Big Jim that, The local motor factors "Linco" that I actually went to today asked me if they should get the price for me of a new caliper,, Muggins here thought they would be a fortune and said no.

Later on I was speaking with my mate who runs a motorway service station and he said they would be about £20 from Linco.

Moral of the story.. Always take get quote before you leave.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction

And Jon the ones you have do look good hope I can get some before Joey gets back on Friday.

Most motor factors stock them; Sierras are are very common on the roads today (despite our best efforts to turn them all into 2Bs).

Hmm. Wish I had a "little helper" like Joey. My daughter might be interested in another 10 years or so; then again, she'll probably be going through that teenager rebellion stage and will have disowned me..

Edited : PS, if you get a choice, pay a bit extra for the gold electroplated jobbies, then paint a couple of coats of Hammerite clear lacquer or a high temperature lacquer on them. This of course will not stop them getting covered with brake dust, but it will help protect them during the build and also make it easier to clean in the future.

Cheers

JonB

Edited by Jon Bradbury

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...