2b Fitting Front Wishbones

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

Can someone please tell me how they decided on where to drill the hole on the lower wishbone for the coilover bottom bracket to be bolted in?

Thanks

T.

I found the best place to bolt the bracket for the coilover on the lower wishbone was in the middle of the plate, any further out towards the ball joint ended up with the coilover spring fouling on the top wishbone with the suspension hanging down when the car is jacked up off the wheels.

Les

Guest Twoscoops

Is that all I have to avoid/think about when fixing it???? Is there no other suspension geometry that has to be takewn into consideration???

Is just that it all seems to simple...!!!

Guest TerryBarry

Within the constraints of the spring clearing the upper wishbone there is not a lot of choice.

Each bracket is secured by two bolts and I ended up drilling four holes which give me a choice of two positions for final adjustment on the road.

This adjustment amounts to about 15mm ( I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference)

Terry

I originally fixed mine roughly in the centre of the plate, but then when I fitted the engine, I found I only had about 1 1/2" of ground clearance below the sump. I've now had to move the shocks as far back on the plate as I can get them, just to give me a few extra mm ground clearance.

If you've not yet fitted your engine, use a shortened sump!

Guest Mike Perry

We have just got to this stage in our build. What I need your opinions on is; when mounting the coilover bracket to the lower wishbone: a. what size bolts should be used and b. 1 or 2 fixings per bracket. I seem to have a limited amount of clearance between the coilover bush and the bottom face of the bracket.

I have ideas on this but would appreciate your opinions. :unsure:

Guest TerryBarry

Mike

I've drilled two holes per bracket - towards the outer ends.

These are bolted through with M8 x 25mm setscrews ( 8.8 rating)

I can then get a nylock on with a couple of threads showing.

The setscrews came with the kit and are shouldered with 10mm hexagon heads and give sufficient clearance from the lower bush.

Terry