Another Past The Post.

Guest john

Dear all.

Well I went for the retest yesterday at Yeading and it passed.

The previous fail points were.

1. Top seatbelt mountings not acceptable when welded to the outside of the cross tube. i knew this had been contraversial so its down to me. Tip . if you still have a chassis like mine, alter it before SVA, cos its a lot more trouble welding those new mountings after the trim and back panel are in.

2. Mirrors not having sufficient field of view. Now got the chrome jobs from Tiger, all ok.

3. insuffiecient chamfer on the windscreen frame. Made a home made guage to get it right this time.

All the other stuff passed ok on the first test.

My experience at Yeading was good and I can recommend the guys there who are good but friendly too.

Got the registration sorted in Reading same afternoon. Cherry on the cake is the number I bought from DVLA website at bargain price............B2 RHE.

The Rhocar group has been help and good fun during my build, thanks to all those who make it what it is.

Thanks to the local guys down here for ecouragement, beer , and help with parts.

It has taken me 3 liesurely years, and my car is not special in terms of Spec, but I did it and it feels great. !

Hope to see more of you at the shows etc.

Regards

John. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers, Bob, Guy.

Sure is a great feeling driving home with a MAC in your pocket. Grinning on the M4 only gets a fly collection on yer teeth though ! and I nearly lost my hat three times in the crosswinds and lorry turbulance. ! :o

I'm now making a new ''Post SVA'' list of things to do

Need some alloys.........( Which ones don't foul on the sliding pillar susp ? anyone got any tips ? )

Steering wheel to fit,

Spare wheel and boot to finish,

Then there is the cup holder, mobile phone, and coat hooks. !!! :D :D

LOL

John.

Guest TerryBarry

Hi John,

Good on Yer :)

Couple of questions re' those seat belt mounts at Yeading.

Were yours welded to a round or square cross tube.

If a square tube did they fail all four ( I've heard that Mitcham don't like the central two and require them welded through the cross tube)

When mine comes up for SVA, Yeading is a bit closer than Mitcham - and probably a better run.

Enjoy driving it !!

Terry

Cheers Terry,

My top mounts began as just two ( made for 3 point harnesses ) and they were welded to the back face of the cross member, which is a square tube.

The tester failed them for not being strong enough in a head on, in his opinion, but he also offered me the option of bringing the results of a pull test.

As I have 4 point harnesses anyway, I decided not to argue the point, even tho I had that letter from RHE, and told him that Swansea had apparantly ok'd the design at a previous appeal.

I decided my car really would be best with 4 points, all welded into the cross tube, so I smiled and got it done. Whats the point in winning an arguement, when losing it makes your car safer, in the opinion of someone who should know ?

When I sawed / ground off the original bits of tube welded to the outside of the cross member, I noticed how easily they came off.

No problem in recommending Yeading, but like all these places, its their job, and they understandably won't want customers telling them how to do it. :(

Good luck,

When is your test going to be ?

John.

Guest Mr Pid

Well done John, three years wow- makes my two years a bit less depressing! :)

With regard to the alloys, get some wheels with a peugeot offset, i have these on the sliding pillock system and it means that you dont have to use spacers. I think you'll find that most ford alloys are a very close fit.

Cant wait start collecting flys in my teeth, good job im not vegetarian. :lol:

Cheers

Stu :rolleyes:

Cheers Stu.

The fords are too close as you say. I'll look for some 16 or 17 inch Peugeots.

Did you fit longer studs ?

Keep at the build, you'll get there

Regards

John.

Well done John,

It'll take longer doing the post SVA list of jobs than it took building the car mainly because you'll be using all your spare time driving it :D :D :D :D

Unlikely to miss you at the shows with your registration number :p

Les

Guest Mr Pid

You wont need longer studs, mine fit almost completely doen the thread, they are aftermarket wheels, but i did fit some pug 205 Gti alloys on no either!

Some people get little spacers fitted in the stud holes (when fitted to pugs) but these can usually be taped out quite easily.

I can almost taste those flies! :)

Stu :rolleyes:

Your right Les, I thought I would fit the mountney wheel tonight, ended up looking like your avatar !

Time for a drink.

Look forward to seeing you,

John.