Better Exhaust

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest Andy Rathbone

Custom chrome own the cherry bomb patent, talk nicley to Graham Swift he owns custom chrome and he will make you what ever you want. for a price of course, cash is always better if you know what i mean ;-)

Guest STEVE OXON

strangely enuff, i decided my s/s exhaust was a bit''loud''

i have cut a 8inch x 4 inch slot in the side of the can and taken out the loose wadding from inside,not a lot in their actually,ive got two packs of motorcycle exh wadding to put in, i was considering wrapping perforated tube inside with wire wool first.has anybody else done this??does it make an appreciable difference??

still its only 4.95 a pack,alot cheaper than buying a new silencer,i will report later when all done ,well see how much quieter it is!

cheers

steve

Guest Petemate

Hi All

I can second Steve Oxon's actions. I also re-packed my silencer with exhaust wadding. It has quietened it down considerably. I obtained the wadding for a very reasonable tenner, and have quite a bit left over. However, I need to keep it for possible use on my next project!

HTH

Pete

Guest Petemate

With mine I cut the can open, a large rectangle on the inside. When refitting, I used an overlap panel of ally - sealed the lot up with lots of firegum, and riveted it up so it can be opened up if nec later. Interestingly, it is sealed up with no blowing, more than can be said for the joint twixt the silencer pipe & 4 into one, which leaks slightly despite loads for firegum and I think is responsible for the popping on over-run (not as bad as it was since I've improved the fit)

Pete

Guest MrSandman
Custom chrome own the cherry bomb patent, talk nicley to Graham Swift he owns custom chrome and he will make you what ever you want. for a price of course, cash is always better if you know what i mean ;-)

Couldn't agree more. Graham is a top bloke.

He was telling me on Sunday that he supplies at least one Seven kit manufacturer. ;)

They will build a silencer to meet your noise aspirations at a reasonable cost and have a reputation for great service.

Be aware that although Custom Chrome silencers are quiet enough, and they are repackable, the chrome in a relatively short space of time suffers badly from the road grime thrown up at it from the front wheel, and will start to look crap in about a season of use (that's a proper season of use, not run down the high street now and again!)

The price for a Custom Chrome silencer is very similar to a good stainless repackable one like Wunoff. I personally wouldn't buy one, I've had one of their biggest ones before I got the Wunoff, but it couldn't handle the noise from the vauxhall engine.

Guest salty_monk

You can use Silicon to seal up the silencer instead of firegum... Wurth do a heat resistant one for use around fire doors/windows etc that worked well on mine....

Dan

I bought my S7 last year and was told that it had a Cherry Bomb on it. I have to say, it's bloody noisy! Great for attracting attention, but I have a habit of setting off car alarms! Also, it's really annoying on long runs. My missus keeps asking me not to rev the car on the driveway so as not to annoy the neighbours!!

I'm looking at putting a quieter silencer on as it's just too much! My advice, listen to everyone else, don't bother with it :-)

You can use Silicon to seal up the silencer instead of firegum...

Don't get Silicon anywhere near an exhaust system fitted with a lamda sensor. The fumes will kill the sensor in 5 hours running time.

The silencer may be downstream of the sensor but fumes can go back up when you stop the engine.

Guest STEVE OXON

well i finished repacking the silencer.

wrapped wire wool round inside pipe first ,then two packs of motorcycle exh wadding,rivetted stainless steel plate and sealed with red silicon.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. runs a LOT quieter,and seems smoother(back pressure maybe).

all in all well worth the twelve pounds cost and a few evenings labour,.

do it,you know it makes sense.

steve