Odd Noise On Engaging Clutch

Jon Bradbury

Bit funny this one.

On a DOHC engine with MT75 gearbox, in neutral, engine spinning, press clutch and release it quickly. Result : a loud-ish clonk when the clutch plates re-engage. Any reason for this noise, apart from there being no sound proofing at all? The car drives OK for a half finished kit otherwise.

Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid and "they all do that, Sir". What do you think?

Yes they do all do that, it's only the backlash in the drive components etc, normally the thing will have load on it, not spinning freely. Wait until you're driving down the road before you start worrying about 'clonking'.

Guest Battery Bill

Hey Jon

Have you just started you engine for the first time?

What with blue smoke and loudish clonks, sounds like you are having fun.

I suppose this is what we have to look forward to. Might fit a radio so we can turn it up loud and not hear all these noises.

Not quite the first time, Jim.

I have run it several times until warm now that the loom and fuel system is plumbed in (can't help it really - its nice to hear the noise after all that work). Plus its driveable what with the brakes provisionally connected so I often take it out of the garage under its own power when working on it (lazy me - should push it really). As I said in my other post, I will probably fit a Vauxhall engine like yours at some point so I only want to get the car through the SVA and I think it might fail if it smokes like that on test day (a long time hence, I might add).

As to the klonk I suspected it was normal but I thought it a good idea to check just in case.

Cheers

JonB

PS, Bill / Joey I have a radio in my garage and I listen to Classic FM when working on the car. And I'm "only" 38...

Guest Mr Pid

Bill + Joey,

Yeh listening to a radio is definately a good idea, i mostly listen to radio one whilst building - very loud. This has two purposes, one: because i like loud music, and two: to save my neaghbours the grinding, drilling, shouting, swearing, screams of pain etc encountered pretty much every day. :D

Havent got much of a clue about the clonking, but wait until you hit big stones when on the road, that is a big clonk, quite scary until you get used to it. :(

Stu :rolleyes: