Torque Settings For Wheels

Guest stu205

Guest stu205

Hi folks

well after 400 trouble free miles my front wheel fell off today, luckly only doing about 15 mph and it rolled the 15 meters on the snow plough tube and the front disk, however now im paranoide that the others wheels are all going to take the same drastic bid for freedom!

simple one, I cant find the haynes to see what the wheels need to be torqued up to anyone got one handy they can have a quick look in for me

cheers in advance

Hold on Stu, it may not be the tightening but the nuts themselves.

Have you got alloy wheels on?, if so ave you the correct nuts on for them, steel nuts had a different seating angle than nuts designed for alloys.

HTH

Mitch

Guest Ian & Carole

Stu

From my days rallying 40ft/lb springs to mind.

My money is that it was the n/s that fell off! :gdit:

N/S have a habit of coming undone

Thats why hgv,s and psv,s have left hand threads on n/s wheels.

After a good blast check all but pay attention to n/s.

And yes make sure the nuts are the correct ones.

Ian J

Stu

check the length of your studs too, i tried a nut from a steel wheel on one of mine with the alloys on and it only came about 3/4 of the way through the nut so there isn't a lot holding your wheels on.

longer studs are about 80p each from rally design.

glad nobody was hurt

torque settings are 52 to 74 lbs/ft

Steve

Guest chris brown

The Dunlop wallchart in the local garage gives 72ft/lb as being the correct torque.

But if you have replaced the studs - and you will need to do if the donor had steels and you now have alleys - then check them at least weekly for the first few weeks as the studs don’t always seat tight down at first even through they look like they are all the way home.

Guest Petemate

Chris has a good point re the settling in of the studs. Mine (from Rally Design) were a right s*d to fit - I've got a bent vice handle to prove it. I did however get them to seat properly, as on checking after a few hundred miles the nuts were still German Nun (Neisentite) :p

Pete

Guest stu205
Bloody hell stue good job it did not come of yesterday at the top of the pass

exactly what i was thinking!!

and yep it was the n/s front

cheers for the other replys, Im sure the nuts are the right ones the profiles match nicely on both nut and wheel but am going to invest in longer studs there are about 5 threads showing

If you have new alloys you have to keep checking the torque settings every 40-60 miles up to about 300 miles due to the seating area having paint applied and the hot and cold process the wheel goes through thats assuming you have the correct wheel nuts for alloy wheels

Guest Phil Slater
But if you have replaced the studs - and you will need to do if the donor had steels and you now have alleys

Chris

Just wondering why/ and/or do I need to be concerned? :( :unsure: The reason being I've got the RH supplied alloys with the dome headed nuts. With the dome headed nuts it's not easy to judge how far in the stud is going in, but it seems a reasonable distance to me. If the studs were too long then there would be the danger of it not being able to tighten up on the wheel enough before bottoming out in the nut. So I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

As anyone else with the RH supplied alloys and domenuts had any problems?

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

TIA

Phil Slater

Hi chris

I have bought some alloys and tyres from robin hood mind you they are not the 5 spoke versions but are the 7 spoke ones which makes no odds but with them i was suplied a full set of wheel nuts that take a special splined key to do them up with ie you can see the wheel stud i have not tried these yet as my lightweight build is on going The wheels and nuts are 100+ team dynamics and they use to sell these in demon tweeks in 2004