Bonnet And Scuttle

Guest richlloyd

Guest chris brown

Rich as Micky says your dash does look low but first bolt the bonnet together and put it in place. I think it will leave a gap of about 2" above the dash. The nosecone can be lifted a little as the restricting item for height is the bonnet as it has to sit on top of the side panels (in fact ideally just clear of the side panels so when you pull it down with the bonnet clips it is a snug fit). Lots of people have had trouble with clearance on the filter when using downdraft carbs. There are several ways people have overcome the problem try doing a search. Some people have also had problems with the oil filler catching the bonnet this can be removed and refitted at the other end of the cover where there is more room, or if you are using a 205 block there is a bung just under the exhaust manifold where a pipe with a suitable adapter can be fitted this can then fitted in to a small catch tank cum oil filler. Then all that is needed from the rocker cover is a breather. (Someone did this and put photos on here but I can’t find them worth a search as he made a really smart job)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill

Rich

Like sir Chris says The scuttle section above the dash may have to be raised

Ours is raised up on 2" box section like you can see in this "Old" piccy :D :D

post-5-1145827239.jpg

Guest richlloyd

do your bonnet edges sit on the side pannels or have you had to raise them too? i have looked at raising the bonnet ans scuttle all the way round by putting number plate sticky foam under the edgo of the bonnet that will compress when the bonnet latchs are on but will also give a little extra height with out being noticed.

cheers

Guest Battery Bill

It does on the scuttle section, just a bit of rubber between to seal it up.

Bit of a bigger gap with the bonnet but a thicker bit of Rubber cures that, The bonnet we got the other day is not quite as big as the previous one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

good luck :D :D

Guest Battery Bill
The bonnet we got the other day is not quite as big as the previous one

Mmm

The Scuttle sits a good 1/2" higher than the last one (At the dash end)

Ho Hum :lol:

Part of the problem seems to be the nose cone is fitted too low at the back. Get a longish straight thing and try it balanced scuttle top to nosecone like the black line. Now look at the nosecone top line. Should be the same but is a few degrees too low, blue line. There is also a half inch or so of height to be gained in the middle of the back edge of the nose cone, green line, with some sort of 'prop' to lift the edge slightly to give a nice slightly rounded line. This will all gain height over the engine before you start making the scuttle too high.

Nigel

Guest chris brown

As Nigel says the nosecone is far to low at the back and I also think the whole nosecone needs lifting you shouldn’t be able to see the cambelt cover above the nosecone as you can see from the picture there is clearance above the cambelt cover to the bonnet BTW look at this picture as having half the bonnet in place.

Guest richlloyd

well i have got the bonnet together and still having problems the fit is not good and its only hindered by the high engine.

left side dash

right side

gaps either side

front

the front ha to be lifted by over 2 inches to clear the oil breather/ filler and the cam pully that causes the problem of a big gap down the side!

side

any sugestions???????????????

Guest chris brown
the front ha to be lifted by over 2 inches to clear the oil breather/ filler and the cam pully that causes the problem of a big gap down the side!
I think you will find the bonnet needs to be reshaped so as to fit the nosecone this will bring the sides down as for the scuttle over the dash it looks about right it never was meant to follow the chassis (well none that I have seen anyway) as for the front height it now looks about right.

Guest micky bigthumbs

Looking at bills build it looks like the dash is made to fit the scuttle has the guy who started the car done things aab and built the dash first or is it a Westie dash

Guest richlloyd

yes they are westfield seats im not sure if he has built it to accept westfield parts i think that i may have to put box section arround the top and side for the scuttle to sit on im going to look at seeing if i can drop the engine a few mm each side i may just pop one or 2 pop rivits into the nose come so the bonnets joined to try and get a better idea of how its going to sit and make sure it looks right