Swirl Pots

Guest micky bigthumbs

[i'm using an empty CO2 bottle from the MIG welder and am fitting 1/4" BSP air line connectors to it, the ally is thick enough to tap and a bit of thread locking compound will seal it (I hope comments welcome).]

I have done the same thing. I have cut the CO2 bottle down so it holds about 1.5ltrs. Tapped in caravan type calor gas connecters for top and bottom, feed from tank to the top, feed to engine from the bottom. Then welded 2 more in near the top (not enough metal in the sides of the CO2 bottle to tap) One is the retunn from the engine the other is the return to the tank. There are 2 fuel pumps in the system, 1 from the tank to the swirl pot the other from the pot to the engine.

I have also extended the pickup in the tank with fuel pipe so it now sits near the bottom in the centre of the tank.

Guest timswait

For the guy that asked what a swirl pot is:

It's a reservoir of fuel to maintain a constant air free supply to the engine. Not really necessary for carbs since the float chamber does, but needed for fuel injection since a bubble in the line will cause a misfire. They can be gravity fed and below the main tank (or inside at the bottom of it) or can be mounted somewhere else and fed by a separate scavenge pump.

Guest gordon_macnab
so will i need two fuel pumps for a pressurised system one before and one after the swirl pot

Not always, dending on set up. My swirl pot is gravity fed so I don't need a pre pump just the standard one off the car and it's one less thing to go wrong :D

Everything up to the inlet side of the pump isn't pressure retaining and only needs to hold the head of fuel from the tank which is nothing really 1/2 psi.

if you can physicly fit the swirl pot beneath, then you don't need to have one. You only need a carb style low pressure pump to feed the swirl pot.