Steering Rack End

NeilD

Took the car for a pre-SVA MOT today - it passed - just :rolleyes:

BUT got an Advisory notice on the Nearside steering pivot point - garage suggested this could be remedied by a new nearside rack end. As I bought the kit as a rolling chassis I am not sure the origins of the rack - does the 2B use a standard Sierra rack with just the steering column bit modified so I can get the rack end from my local motor factor???

Guest micky bigthumbs

just take the end ..the local factor guys reel loads of part numbers off from memory they will probably look at it and tell you make model and year of the donor

how legal would it be, having passed the MOT but with advisory to get it fixed before SVA to drive it down to my local college where I can use ramps, wheel alignment gear etc ? ( insured on chassis no. )

Had I failed I recon it would be OK but since it passed??

PS Local college is next door to police division HQ....

a pass is a pass. the advisory is just to let you know to keep an eye on it

i had a car pass once with signs of brake fluid around the caliper

examiner couldnt see a definit leak , but noted it

(it passed the brake test ok)

he asked me afterwards had i had them apart before the test

dave

Guest elwe

You can only drive to prebooked *manditory* tests and then to prebooked appointments to have identified faults fixed.

In my opinion a pre SVA MOT test is not manditory and therefore it is not legal to drive to one.

If you find a fault before SVA you can't legally drive to a garage to have the fault fixed, you need to do something like use a trailer. Alternatively you can go to SVA fail, and then drive to the garage to get it fixed (so long as you don't get a prohibition). The difference is the DVLA get an extra £30 for the retest.