To Cut The Chassis Or Not ?

Guest Sdpurr

Guest Sdpurr

Hello all

I have just got my hands on a half built (2b) car and have been watching the RH video, on the video it says to cut the rear part of the chassis when the suspension is bolted in. (it said that it has been left long for different types of rear springs)

I feel my car is to hight at the back, When looking online at other cars it seam's that most people do not do this, as the person before. so is he right not to cut ?

Should I cut the chassis, or will it have other effects ????

Please see picture,

Please help.

post-3-1149858213.jpg

Guest elwe

What is the height of the rear of the floor pannel? From memory it should b about 6".

Keep in mind that as you add weight the suspension will settle to a lower level so beware of cutting too much off too soon.

Guest tom2b

I cut mine higher up than yor cut line, if you bolt it in place and later on feel its too low to the ground you can slide the internal bar lower and rebolt it in another position.

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

Don't cut it wait till you have the car fully loaded with wheel arches etc and if you do need to do it, do it then we did not cut anything off ours :D

Guest shane1664

alright for some! :lol: Our 2b/4 sits way too low... will need to invest in some proper units. What have you got in yours again Bill? or anybody else for that matter!

We have the front springs in the back btw. as also shown on the video

Shane

Guest TerryBarry
Hi  on one of the videos, Richard speaks about some changes, one of which is "not to cut the rollover tubes"  regards Bill

Yes I found that problem too

Still the man does say to watch all the videos before starting :(

The other problem is once you've got the arches & back panel on - how the heck do you get to cut the bottom of the tube at all ??

I'm going to make up two longer top mounting inserts if I find them necessary.

Of course that's if the coilovers last longer than Andy Hamilton's - front or rear :gdit:

Guest chris brown

As others have said leave them as they are then after driving the car for a while you still find it is still to high at the back which I doubt, then when you change the coilovers (which you will) for proper ones go for a pair of shorter ones.

Guest hypermick

Ive not cut my chassis tubes either. ^_^

By the sounds of it I'll be joining the ex-Zeemride shocker queue too once the SVA is out of the way.

Are they really THAT bad ? :(

Has anyone managed to make them last ? :huh:

Mick

Guest salty_monk

Longest I've heard of is 8,000 miles. I have the old type which seem to be better, front only. 3,500 miles & counting...

Dan :)

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , in my vidios2002 vintage richard said cut off as high as pos which i did, ride height ok after 4500 miles on zimers , must be lucky,

pete2b

Guest chris brown
I have the old type which seem to be better,
They are much better I got about 10K out of mine (But then I have always been a cheapskate ;) ;) ). It wasn’t the springs or shocks but the lightweight bushes that gave up. But the car is transformed by fitting good quality units on both ends.

Guest hypermick

Sorry if Ive missed it somewhere else in the threads,. but what is the difference between old and new types. Appreciate info.

Cheers guys.

Mick