Scratch Removal

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

Took my nan out for her first ride in my hood last night, but she wudnt go out in it looking dirty. (she likes to clean :wub: )

So an hour later her and my mum had cleaned and polished it for me. :D

Only problem is, they used somthing called 'autosol' which my mum uses round the house on various things.

What she didnt not know is that its not for use on mirror finish stainless and therfore has left scratches all over the bonnet.

Is there anything i can use to get rid of these? as it looks terrible.

Paul

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops! I'm not sure that there is anything you can do with it now. As far as I recall the stainless has a very thin protective layer on it which precludes the use of any type of abrasive polish. This is why everyone cleans it up with clear windowlene. I gues your only option now is to try a less aggressive polish, and be prepared to regularly polish it to prevent it deteriorating. :(

Guest paul091085

i normally use window cleaner after reading about it on here. I guess it will teach me not to be lazy and let other people clean my car for me :wub:

Guest Takumi

try a glass window polish, i have a bottle of Comma Liquid Glass Polish (fine clay suspension), which looks like milk, when you wipe it all over glass and let it dry, you buff it like a normal wax polish.. comes up nice.. perhaps it'll work on s/s..

Guest paul091085
Paul

You are taking it very calmly, I think there would be a murder in our family if anyone did that to Joeys car  :lol:  :lol:

Think id feel a bit bad if i started having a go at my nan. My mum on the other hand has not been so lucky and has had to put up with me moaning at her all day.

Although my aunty and uncle came down today and her dad is into his cars and says he knows a place that may be able to remove them. :D So there is hope yet <_<

But to make the weekend worse, my clutch has developed a rattle/vibration which i think is the same problem that Nigel (longboarder) has recently had. :boohoo:

Paul

Guest macca
Paul

You are taking it very calmly, I think there would be a murder in our family if anyone did that to Joeys car :lol: :lol:

They were only trying to help, But I'd hit them with a bill for the new panels to stop them doing it again. ;)

Guest paul091085

well ive found a company that deal with metal, and they say they can polish out scratches on stainless steel. Only thing is, my aunty isnt sure if they will do cars :( . Going to ring on monday and see what they say.

If they can't do anything, whats the rough cost of a new bonnet from RH?

Guest paul091085
Paul we must start our own club  :D  :D  :D and keep smiling

Just about managing to smile, although its not looking like ill get it sorted before next weekend.

Don't they say that bad things come in three's? one more to go and then ill be alright :D

As has been said, the stainless that your car is made from has a "plastic film" on it, if you use any sort of abrasive polish on it you will damage the film, this is what's happened, it's just like scratching paint off, but not actually damaging the metal itself.

The firm that can polish up stainless, are talking about the type of stainless used for sinks, cookers, chip shops etc. a completely different thing altogether.

So it's either live with it, or a new bonnet I'm afraid. Battery Bill will be able to tell you just how much a new bonnet costs.

Guest Battery Bill
So it's either live with it, or a new bonnet I'm afraid. Battery Bill will be able to tell you just how much a new bonnet costs.

Paul

We bought a new bonnet a month or so ago £200, was meant to be £230 but had a slight blemish (Which would be covered with the Windscreen anyway but they still gave me a discount )

The story is on our website :D