Number Plate Light

Guest Phil_h

Guest Phil_h

Hi Guys,

I haven't decided on the type of rear number plate e.g. square one mounted to the body or rectangle one mounted on the spare wheel holder. My question is this - for the SVA do I need to have the number plate light fitted ?

Thanks in Advance

Phil

Hi Guys,

I haven't decided on the type of rear number plate e.g. square one mounted to the body or rectangle one mounted on the spare wheel holder. My question is this - for the SVA do I need to have the number plate light fitted ?

Thanks in Advance

Phil

You do need to have it fitted and working. They have a spare rectangular number plate to hold in position while they do the radius checks so you can get away with sharp edges behind where the number plate will be when you get one.

Guest Phil_h

Thanks Elwe.

I think I'm going for a square number plate (the one with two lines of figures) fixed on the rear panel offset to the drivers side as this fits nicely with my wiring :D

Does anyone know the approximate width of square number plates?

Thanks again

Phil

Guest Battery Bill

Phil

You don't need to decide right now the size "Or" position of your numberplate, all you need is the light fitted and working.

Easy option is drill a hole in your rear panel where your spare wheel mounting stud will fit or where when fitted the spare will cover the hole, because of course you don't fit your spare wheel for the test in case it fails on sharp edges. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then fit your Numberplate "light" there and leave enough wire so after the sva test you can reposition your number plate light and put your plates where you want them :D :D

Guest warwick7735

Hi

I think you will find that the letters and numbers on all number plates are of standard size, whether they are on a bike, car or lorry and the yellow background is also standardised.

Warwick

Guest Battery Bill

Warwick

I think you will find that the letters and numbers on all number plates are of standard size

Not so look Here a few piccys down and you can see the front numberplate that we legally bought from a "Plate" shop. :D

I believe our rear is also not "Full Size" but nobody has complained yet :D :D

Richard and Derek I am only joking the number plates are full size Honest ! :lol: :lol: :wub:

Guest Nishka

Number plates don't have a standard legal size at all.

However the numbers themselves do:

Number plates fitted after 1st Sept 2001

Characters:

Height 79mm

Width 50mm (not fig 1 or letter I)

Stoke 14mm

Space between Characters 11mm

Space between groups 33mm (for 'long' plates)

Top, bottom and side margins 11mm (minimum)

Space between vertical lines 19mm (for 'square' plates)

So assuming a standard 7 character number plate (without 1s or Is) would be a minimum size of:

Square plate, two rows, total size 255 x 199mm - Long plate, single row, total size 460 x 72mm

Hope this helps, although it has nothing to do with the requirment for a number plate light!!

DVLA Guidance

Nishka :ph34r: