Donor Car Destruction

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Hey guys. me and my father are just about to start stripping a sierra for use in a superspec. the car is a 2 litre DOHC with electronic fuel injetion in good condition for its age. was just wondering if there were any tips or anything as to strippin the car and what i would need to keep. obviously the Engine Gbox and wiring along with rear axle but is there anything else i should know before i begin the chaos??? :blink:

thanks very much

Joe

in adition to this i was thinking of using the sierras rear brakes. is this advisabble and how would this be caried out on the build itself?

Joe

doesn't the superspec come with the rear axle? i thought that was the point of the kit. You should only need engine and gearbox and associated ancilliaries if i am correct.

Guest crwoodford

Not speaking from personal experience but...

Anything you disconnect or cut, especially wiring... Label everything clearly and carefully.

Also photo's can subsequently be helpful.

Good luck

Col (Taunton)

I stripped the engine out of this doner and could never get it to run again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-1632-1156263832_thumb.jpg

ah rite thats interesting. but what about rear disk brakes instead of drums. could i nick those from the donor as well?

joe

Yep, good plan :) I would assume the SS beam uses drums.

Guest chris brown

I don’t know what is included in the super spec now compared with the 2B but if you have the room to store then remove everything that will come off right down to the last nut, bolt and clip including all plastic heater piping etc its always easy to get rid of it after the build (often to other builders) but a pain when you have to start searching scrap yards for that bit which you know you have thrown away. You should end up with getting rid of the shell, doors, glass and seats and that is about it and as others have said whatever you do do not hand over the V5 to the scrap yard, they will ask for it but don’t give it up just keep the car on SORN until you go for SVA and registering. I also agree with Col take your time removing the loom and label every bit you may end up not using it but its better to be on the safe side

Guest salty_monk

You can certainly use your rear disk brakes...

You need to replace the whole axle ideally otherwise it's a case of buying adapter brackets etc.

I know RH supplied a "Reconditioned" rear axle with the SS but that probably only included cleaning it up, spraying it poss new driveshaft gaitors & if you were really lucky some new driveshaft seals either side of the diff & brake shoes....

My advice if you really want the disks (they are not necessary - all these cars have more than enough brakes anyway) I would just clean yours up, replace the pad (& disks if shot) add some new driveshaft gaitors whilst it's apart & bob's your uncle...

The added bonus of using the disk axle now is it makes it easier to fit an LSD at a later date if you want one... should slip straight in as both should be lobro (bolt on at diff end) type driveshafts.

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Unless of course you get an LSD which takes the push-in shafts...as others have had the misfortune of doing....for example, ZF diffs (also used by cateringvans). ;)

Guest ScotMac

Don't i wish that was true, Dan!!! ;) Remember we had a long discussion about this about 4 (??) months ago?

*Aftermarket* LSD's are typically "closed diffs", and hence do not have the openings to allow the clips associated w/ the torx bolt on diff flanges. Remember, i was debating whether i could use the torx bolt based flanges w/ my diff, and just ignore the c-clips? ;)

-sm

Guest salty_monk

Depends which diff you have... I've seen a Quaife & an ABC in the lobro style casing.... must be just the ZF.

Surprised you've not given up on that one & gone for a quaife style or standard that don't need adjusting/servicing so often... or have you worked out a way to get it so it's easily removeable??

Dan :)