1.6 Sierra

Guest Andybarbet

Guest Andybarbet

Hi, can anyone confirm that the correct gearbox for a 2b needs to have the reverse next to 1st gear ??, i have beeen offered a G reg sierra 1.6 with only 50k miles on it by a friend and its only £100.

Also, can anyone give me their views on whether or not a 1.6 is good/fast enough ?

or should i just wait for a 2 litre with vented discs ??

Cheers !

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Andy

No idea about this reverse gear bit but I dont see why it should matter where the reverse is.

As for the 1600cc it went ok in a big heavy Sierra so it should do nicely in the much lighter RH. Same goes for the brakes.

Having said that we got out 2ltr Injection for £75 and ended up buying new brakes anyway they are dirt cheap (Vented Disk £11, Caliper £23) and its a lot better than cleaning the old ones up.

There are a few 1.6 owners running around no doubt you will get some more advice from them.

Good luck whatever you get.

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Andy,

Yes reverse next to first is the type 9 gearbox.

Obviously the 1.6 is down on power compared to the 2.0 ( 55 to 77kw in carb' form).

The brakes are not a problem - if they will stop a Sierra with all five seats filled and a boot full - they will stop a 2B

I can't comment on the performance of the 2B with a 1.6 engine - but a number of builders have them.

HTH

Terry

Go for it ! The 1.6 braking set up is adequate for the 2b, which weighs much less than the donor. My 1.6 disc/ rear drum set up passed SVA with no probs about front / rear balance etc.

The rest of your bits will be only 50k old, so pretty good.

When you get fed up with the 1.6 performance you can do a straight swap for the 2.0.

Are you building for road or track use ?

Have you got a 5-speed box in it ?

Guest Andybarbet

I'm building for road use,

long story really but i'm a triumph TR7 owner/lover with a very rotten car and have been quoted £3000 just for a new TR7 bodyshell. ( to repair mine was more ! ) & thats without fixing all of the other broken bits.

I have had it for 14 years and wife wants me to dump it !!

Decided i would only get rid if i could spend the money on a stainless chassis/body robin hood ( No more rot probs!! ) & she agreed. ( I'm still in shock ! )

Wont be able to afford the kit until the new year so figured i should get busy killing a perfectly useable sierra.

Cheers for the advice.

Guest Andy Rathbone

hi andy, i have a 1.6 2b not on the road yet 3 years and still building but dont be put off, they can be built quicker(so i'm told) whilst building i did a little welding for a friends westie that had a 1.6 xflow with twin 40's as payment he took me out for little ride. all i can say is f*** me that was quick. so i'm hoping for similar performance after SVA i will put my twin 40's on. 1.6 should keep you out of hospital for at least the first 6 months!!!

ATB

Guest Tony Tank

Hi Andy go for the 1600 ,I built mine with a 1600 it is ok. The only reason i changed to 2ltr was on motorway runs u need that extra bit of power to keep up with the 2ltr lads ( and lasses ) but if you only use the country lanes 1600 is just as good. You can allways change it at a later date if you are not happy. ;)

Guest Andybarbet

Well, looks like i need to see a man about a car then.

Anyway it'll still be faster than a TR that don't work !!!!!

I think twin 40's could be in the recipe too :-)

Time to wipe the dust off me spanners then...........

Cheers

Andy, the diameter of the front discs are the same on 1.6 and 2l, are vented discs necessary on a Hood? and as someone has already said the smaller rear drums mean that you do not have problems locking the rears so the you don't need the pressure reducing valve unit, saves even more weight and complications.

Peter

Guest andymids

Hi Andy,

I started with a 1.6 in my car and later swapped to a 2.0i and 5 speed box (In a series 3). The 1.6 was plenty to start with. I have always used vented front discs and 1.6 rear drums with no compensator, and as my experience at the weekend at bruntingthorpe showed, it stops well with no rears locking, from about 115mph! ;)

The injection complicated things but a straight swap for a 2.0 carb engine should be simple. 5 spd box is worth it for the run to LeMans.

The insurance cost in my case was the same for the 2.0i and the 1.6 as well!

Andy

Guest Andybarbet

Cheers Andy,

I'm going with the 1.6 for starters, as most have suggested and when the cars on the road i will look out for a decent 2.0 litre lump if i get bored.

I've decided to get hold of the vented discs as i used to have a 2.0i sapphire and it did stop well.

Out of curiosity, i'm 30 (years old) and wouldn't mind someone giving me a rough idea of insurance prices ?

Cheers,

Andy........

P.S. will be at donington on the 14th so am hoping to get a look at lots of hoods !!!

Guest mickmellors

I couldnt find anyone to quote even nearly as inexpensive as Roadsure

Their policies include 30 days cover in Europe and Breakdown recovery too ! ! !

Go to their website at www.roadsure.com - fill in the answers to the questions - hit send and you will get a quote the next day.

Or phone them - 020 8989 3339

My quote was £119 F/Comp 3000 miles per year garaged in Derby I'm 45 with 3 points on my license.

I pay over £700 total per year for my Peugeot 605 and 306 diesels and dont do much more than 3000 miles in either !

Join the ranks of RHOCaR and you will qualify for a discount which will effectively refund your membership fee !

Get Membership details by e:mailing tim@rhocar.org

Post a reply to this thread to let us all know what quotes you get.

ended up buying new brakes anyway they are dirt cheap (Vented Disk £11, Caliper £23)

Could you share the info on where you sourced those braking components? That's seriously cheap. The cheapest I could find was £30 for vented rotors!!

cheers

mordac

Is the gearbox a type 9 with reverse next to 1st then? if not make sure it is a Pinto engine and not a cvh. Also he,s a mate so knock him down by at least 25 quid

Regards

Richard.