Can I Use This Doner

Guest rimexboy

The sump on the 4wd is different, it has the front half shafts coming out of it and off to the front wheels. If you were to use this configuration then you'd need to remove the FWD section from the gearbox and weld up the holes in the aluminium housing.

Alternatively, you could attach the engine to a V6 type 9 gearbox and bell housing as used in the XR4X4 (both different from the Pinto type 9 ones), find a clutch and build it all together then it should work, looks like the pic below.

post-99-1158315890_thumb.jpg

The main problem is the gearbox with the transfer to the front drive wheels at the rear of the box in front of the tail shaft on the right hand side, a Dax has been built with a 4x4 box and it intrudes into the driverside about mid thigh. So you would need an MT7 2wd ( or Type 9 with the long input shaft) box and sump the rest is ( apart from some details) the same as a 2wd, a bonus is the 3.62 Lsd.

Guest rimexboy

ok guys thanks for the info,

so if my chassie is a rolling one with a 2 litre pinto, box, prop, rear and front suspension all fitted,

would the rest of the parts from a FORD SIERRA 2.8 Ghia 4x4 estate be a problem

basically i need all doner parts still apart from the parts mentioned above

thanks again simon

ok guys thanks for the info,

so if my chassie is a rolling one with a 2 litre pinto, box, prop, rear and front suspension all fitted,

would the rest of the parts from a FORD SIERRA 2.8 Ghia 4x4 estate be a problem

basically i need all doner parts still apart from the parts mentioned above

thanks again simon

To be honest mate, you are only really talking about the steering column, pedal box and front brake callipers. I wouldn't use the loom (far too complicated and no good for your pinto), and I'm not too sure about the callipers either. The rack will be power steering and not ideal and other than the master cylinder and possibly fuel tank sender I can't think of anything else that you could use from the Sierra to make it worth buying it?

Guest Alan_builder

Hi rimexboy,

The advice is correct, basically the 2.8 4x4 is almost useless and more so in your case.

From what you said you wont use the front hubs so you can roll the donor away.

The steering colum and switches are OK.

The fuel tank but then you have no boot.

Sender unit is OK

Electric fuel pump is OK

The front seats?

The hood catck and release cable and I used a rear seat release cable for the secondary one to save poking a rod through the grill.

The wiring looms are "segmented" you will need a different engine bay loom, it may plug into the basic car loom but you may need to cut the connects off and rejoin them. The accesories and ABS can go.

The 4x4 has ABS so there wont be a servo (vacume) it is electric.

The pedal box should be ok.

Insrument cluster - rev counter may have the wrong I/P ie for 6 cylinders not your 4.

Steering rack is power assisted and as such a pain to use.

Radiator fan Peugot 205 the one in your kit works the wrong way round and its use can lead to overheating, big subject some builder put extra vents in the thing to keep it cool.

Heater VW Polo

Wiper motor Mini

It is almost impossible to sell the other bits on Ebay.

A shame and we understand your desire to use a freebe, but the 4x4 is another animal, only think of using one if you are making a special like a V8 or a V6 but then ther are better cars to start with.

If you cant get a car give me a PM

Alan

I :wub: my RH

Guest Battery Bill

Simon

I would not say your 2.8 donor is useless. :rolleyes:

If you were daft enough to use the standard Sierra tank well yes that may be the case :rolleyes:

The Engine loom can be grafted onto your car, so unless you are building a car and intend to use the complete donor Sierra loom including the E Windows, etc etc you will have to cut the loom!

Our donor had a Servo, we do not. Need I say more?

If you use the instruments of your freebie "Whats the problem?"

Steering racks, heaters Fans are plentiful and easy to source so why not use your 2.8 ?

Remember "Every Hood is different" and thats the Beauty of a Hood :D :D :D