Driving Tuition For Youngsters

Guest Dredd

My RH build is a father / son thing. My boy is 13 now, will be 14 when build complete. I would like him to have some tuition and experience of driving sooner rather than wait until he's 17! Does anyone know of any schemes? Preferable in the South but will travel.

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Derek

Sorry I have not responded to your e-mail yet,Hope all is going well.

At the end of last year I found out about the under 16 car club, when you join The Dad is the instructor and they have meetings most weekends some on ordinary (Closed) roads some on the race tracks. The child built up points and when he/she had amassed enough they got various treats like a drive of a racer or a tank.

It seemed pretty good only problem it was all "Dahn Saff" in the London region.

If you type in the under 16 car club in Ask Peeves you might find it if not I will have to hunt round for the letter.

£140 ish i seem to remember.

Guest mickmellors

Try the AA and RAC - got to be worth a couple of phone calls.

Excellent idea too - I was fortunate to have farming relatives and my Uncle used to own Cadwell Park in Lincs so I learned the basics of driving at the tender age of 9, had my first motorbike at 11 and joint ownership of a kart at 13. Strangely I waited until I was 21 before taking my car test which I passed at the 1st attempt (phew). Even more strangely I had owned 4 cars by the time I took my test !

Guest Stuart Ainslie

If you live near Hornchurch, Essex - there is a place called the 'Caradrome' where you can drive around in a your own car to learn before reaching the legal age. It is fully laid out as per a set of streets.

Stuart.

Thanks all, Bill - I have found the under 17 club which must be the same as it fits your description. It is fully subscribed at the moment but looks really good. They take kids from 12 years to 17. The subscription is £150.00 this year but likely to rise next. Thanks again :rolleyes:

Guest timswait

When I was 15 (5 years ago) I had a go at Brands Hatch on "Early Drive". It was on the circuit, but they had it coned off for two way traffic and wouldn't let you race :( Also it was only a Kia Pride you got to drive. It was meant for under 17 year olds to have a driving lesson similar to they'd get on the road. I think my parents booked it through Red Letter Days.

Guest Battery Bill

Dredd

Well 16 was nearly right.

It does look good though, I must admit it was oversubscibed when I found out about it you had to get your name down early.

You both going to Donny then?

Not sure yet. It's a long way from us and you know how us 'suvenors' :p feel vulnerable North of Watford. however it would be a good chance to see what we have purchased! :blink:

So I guess it will be a last minute decision, but the thought is growing on me.

Guest Battery Bill

Go on you will both love it, You will be made very welcome by Rhocar lot

A Nicer bunch of folk you could not wish to meet.

Crap at breaking into Mondeo's though

(Oh and parking near Dog poo bins)

Hi Dredd,

there are now a few Suvners with Hoods of various sorts.

Mine was a father/son build too....it seems very popular.

We have owners in Orpington, Swanley, Bexley, Bromley, Dover, West Malling to name a few.

We have been meeting up at a pub in Ryarsh recently.

I'll let you know when the next meeting comes up,

or feel free to pop up & take a look & maybe a test run (passsenger only tho'!)

when I get back from Holiday (20th September)

Cheers, Bob Tucker