Driving Sensibly Doesn't Pay! Can Someone Explain This

Guest Quarks7

Guest Quarks7

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share this with you and see if anyone can explain it to me.

My Tin top was three yrs old last Saturday. So I booked it in for an MOT last Friday and told the tester who's a mate to have a realy good look and not pull any punches (Not something he hears every day :D ). So if there were any faults (even minor ones) I'd be able to nip it back to the main dealer.

Anyway he passed it but said the inside edge of both front discs were corroded and worn. However the outside edge on both was as new. I explained that the good outer edge was probably down to me driving it sensibly as it's my first ever new car and I'd like it to last. However neither of us could explain the inner edge problems. :blink:

I rang the dealer and explained what I'd been told and they started harping on about "Wear and tear / consumables etc". However after a few choice words and a visit to the showroom. They relented and said they looked up an old tech bullitin from the company that said some cars had been brought back at variuos mileages with the same problem and they were putting it down to people like myself not braking hard enough to remove the corrosion that all steel discs pick up!!! :blink: :huh: :blink: So therefore the discs where damaging the pads and in turn the pads where buggering up the discs further still!! The fix is to put more abrasive pads on :o

To cut a long story short I got a full set of front discs and pads free, the car was given a full valet and all's well that ends well but I can't help thinking this is all a lot of B*llsh%t to explain away faulty disc or pads.

I deliberatly didn't mention who makes the car cos I think it would be a little disloyal after how well I was treated. What I will say though is if you a "Zoom Zoom Zoom" around in one of their cars make sure your hard on the brakes as often as possible! :D :p :D

Ps their sexy but dim as a 5 watt bulb receptionist told me the curtosy car they lent me was a diesel but fortunatly I checked before filling it up and it's a petrol. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't realised that family car diesels don't rev to 7000rpm :D :p :D

Guest Quarks7

Hi Stu,

Just out of interest why did you ask if my tin top was a Nissan?

I had a 1998 Primera GT before the Mazda and it was the best car I've ever owned. It was 5 yrs old with 43,000m when I sold it and in that time all it ever needed was 1 set of pads and a few tyres. Infact I paid £500 for an extra 2 years warrenty when the first three expired and that turned out to be a total waste of money :wacko: . The only warrenty claim I ever made was when the external gear lever return spring broke and was making a very worring sound sometimes. Apparrently they have an internal one aswell that I didn't know about. So I was thinking that as the lever still returned it must me something serious. So I guess that was a fiver for a spring and 2 mins work if you have a set of ramps....... Regards Jez

Can't explain your specific problem but disc wear these days is quite common due to the change from asbestos pads to modern materials. They tend to be much harder on the discs. Go back 20 years and you hardly ever bought new discs, just new pads. These days you buy new discs virtualy every time you buy pads. Similar story with clutches. The harder material has trouble bedding in on a worn surface.

Nigel

Can't explain your specific problem but disc wear these days is quite common due to the change from asbestos pads to modern materials. They tend to be much harder on the discs. Go back 20 years and you hardly ever bought new discs, just new pads. These days you buy new discs virtualy every time you buy pads. Similar story with clutches. The harder material has trouble bedding in on a worn surface.

Nigel

That rings a bell.

I bought a Freelander new a few years ago (why, oh why, oh why) and it consumed some front pads at a rate of 25,000 miles.

However, at 50k, they changed the disks as well.

Now hang on a minute I said. I'm happy with 25k for the pads but 50k for the sodding disks is a bit rich?

Well, the same happened at 100. I decided to keep the disks and there was only about 1.5mm of wear on them and these are quite thick disks.

From now on, if you can bend them, they need changing :D