Scalectrix

Mat-Moo

Guest TerryBarry
How about Bill's electrolytic rust removal method? Should remove the tarnish and shouldn't touch the plastic.

I thought that the conductor strips on Scalectrix track were made of tinplated steel - it might be worth a cautious approach

I have used Plebys (or whatever it was called) its just emery paper mounted on rubber blocks and a braso type polish. you can get these cheaper at the DIY store. The system works though, the rubber blocks help you keep the emery on the track and not the plastic.

Guest OllyT83

I always use methylated spirits to clean the track surfaces. It does a great job of cleaning the tarnished surfaces and leaves no mess, and is simple to try before using more drastic measures.

Certainly older sections of track were tin plated, I have many that unfortunately now are useless as they have big rust patches on them. I would deffinately steer clear of using any sort of abrasive on them.

Olly

Guest micky bigthumbs

The sauce from Tinned baked beans.. leave a dirty 1p in it and it comes out very shiney...... So lay the track on the carpet in your living room and tip a can of baked beans on it and leave it till morning and its clean :D

Guest TerryBarry
The sauce from Tinned baked beans.. leave a dirty 1p in it and it comes out very shiney...... :D

On that basis it may be worth trying Cillit Bang - however I cannot accept any responsibility if a disaster occurs :wacko:

Guest manglemender

Somewhere in my garage I have one of the rubber thingys with the abrasive embedded - A left-over from my days repairing real trains. I used it for cleaning tracks on PCBs. It'll do the job alright but repeated use wouldn't be good for your track.

How about lemmon Juice? Gotta be worth a try but you'd have to wash it off very thoroughly.

Nick

ive 2 8x4 sheets, on pullys in the gaurge, clean it with wire wool, vacuum it after, and them rub it with meths

after that wd40 on a cloth and run it around the track, makeing sure you dont get to much one the black stuff

if you do it"ll were of in a few laps, i use to use it alot, but now the hoods in there, and can only use it in the summer, what a great night in, with a few beers and a bit of indoor raceing, brill

Edited by vacinc