Ok To Have Fuel And Brake Pipes Touching If They Are Sheathed?

peter_m7uk

I wanted to route my fuel and brake lines through the same small gap.

They are both copper and I'd imagine it would be a failure to have them

touching. However, if I pull a sleeve of fuel tubing over each one as

protection, then have the fuel tubing touching, anyone got any experience

of an examiner having a problem with that??

Pete B)

Guest chris brown
Doesn't Sva state they have to be a minimum distance apart along their whole length??

Dan :)

I don’t think so Dan (not that I can find anyway) I think they will be ok providing the pipes can’t rub together which if in extra piping they can’t.

This is how I routed my loom, fuel and brake pipes through the small gap at the upper rear of the transmission tunnel:

Pipes.jpg

I used convoluted plastic tubing slipped over each pipe to protect and separate them - also ensured that 'P' clips were not rubbing.

Thanks for the replies, chaps :D

Looks like it will probably be ok...

Just for clarification, Rich, are the red and yellow tubes actually the fuel

lines, or are they for protecting something else??

Pete :)

Guest peter2b2002

only the electric and fuel pipes have to be routed apart, fixings no more than 300mm apart,i used P clips for the pipes and electrics, i also used rubber fuel pipe and copper brake lines, with spiral rap for the electrics

pete2b

Just for clarification, Rich, are the red and yellow tubes actually the fuel

lines, or are they for protecting something else??

Fuel lines, Pete. Bit of a sore point, that. My SVA nemesis was having to prove to the examiner that they were 'fit for purpose', and therein lies a tale!!! :wacko:

only the electric and fuel pipes have to be routed apart, fixings no more than 300mm apart,i used P clips for the pipes and electrics, i also used rubber fuel pipe and copper brake lines, with spiral rap for the electrics

pete2b

The only problem with using rubber fuel lines through the tunnel comes if you want to enter MSA organised events. They say that fuel lines in the car must be either metal or metal braided. I suspect they will view the tunnel as in the car, it is enclosed.

Fuel lines, Pete. Bit of a sore point, that. My SVA nemesis was having to prove to the examiner that they were 'fit for purpose', and therein lies a tale!!! :wacko:

Have you still got the evidence? Does it say they are ok for E85 Bioethanol? I am torn between cooper lines and nylon ones but I want to make sure everything is ready to take E85.

Have you still got the evidence? Does it say they are ok for E85 Bioethanol? I am torn between cooper lines and nylon ones but I want to make sure everything is ready to take E85.

I'll have a look, but from memory I don't think so :(