Sva Test Application Form

Guest Fred2b

I was filling in my SVA test application form and got stuck on question 1 - Chassis number. The notes supplied with the form state that this number can be found on the manufacturers data plate under the bonnet. Since this is a new kit car there is no plate so I sent an email to The Vehicle Inspectorate that issues the form asking if I could use the number on the RH invoice as long as it had 17 digits.

This is the reply I got below, so I'm going to use my made up number which incorporates the RH invoice number and see how it goes.

Regards

Fred

If by 'the chassis number as issued by the manufacturer' you mean a new

chassis supplied by the kit manufacturer as a one off, then that will be

fine, if it is any other then you need to check with DVLA.

The cost of the basic test is £150.

Regards

L J Price (Mrs)

Hi Fred

Now you have sent details for SVA. Book the car in for the built up inspection.

This way it will save time later.

Stamp you're chassi number on the car (two places 1 fixed 1 removeable) as you said use the invoice number plus you're details to make 17 digits.

book appointment at you're local DVLA office,

I did it this way and was sent details of my reg number i was to be issued, when i passed SVA i gave in TAX application form(after arguement with DVLA staff) and the rest of my paperwork and they sent my tax in post a few days later.

At the very least call in or phone (find there direct number not Swansea) and ask them which is quickest way to regester.

I think you're local office maybe one of the better ones which may inspect and issue on the same day.

GOOD LUCK

Mitch (red 2b in convoy last week)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest peter2b2002

Hi, when i phoned my local dvla office for a chassis No. they told me to take the car to nothhampton(35 miles) as i have a MK post code and have one issued and not to make one up myself!! there does seem to be a lot of different ideas from the dvla offices as another 2b builder who live in Bicester (8 miles from me)had a chap come round to his place to do it.

in hope pete2b

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Hammond

I made up my own VIN number and booked my car in for it's SVA test using that. However, I then found out that my number was no good as it contained Is and 1s, Os and 0s etc. (apparently there are rules governing valid VINs known only to a few people in Swansea). So I had to get a new number from DVLA and rebook the SVA, because they will only test a car with the VIN number given on the application form. I left all the paper work until the build was virtually complete so the car sat in the garage for 2 months whilst I dealt with the paper shufflers.

The DVLA office in this part of the world (Cumbria) send someone from the local police station round to look at the car. All they are looking for is how many major components you have used from the donor (engine, transmission, 'axles' etc.) so that DVLA can decide what type of registration number to issue (new number, age related, Q plate) so this can be done well before you are ready for your SVA. So my advice is start the registration process early, months before you think you be ready for SVA. When DVLA issue the VIN they also suply a form to be stamped by a garage confirming the VIN is properly marked on the car in at least two places. This is not a problem if you have a friendly local garage willing to trust you, otherwise you'll have to get them to have a look before you go to the to register the vehicle.

By the way, I assumed I'd get my MAC certificate back with the V5 when the car was registered. Wrong! It gets sent to Swansea and then disposed of. So if you want to keep that piece of paper you have laboured so long to obtain, make a copy or ask DVLA to return t.