Type 9 Reconditioned Box, Not Impressed So Far!

Guest tom2b

I bought a reconditioned type 9 gearbox from maintrain transmissions as word of mouth about them appears to be very good, the box has been sat in my workshop since it arrived on tuesday as i havent had chance to work on the car since then. Today a friend of mine and i were working on our cars and he popped the top off to have a look and turn the shaft over by hand, it felt notchy and on closer inspection we found this: (please excuse the picture quality as i took them with my mobile)

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

After removing it the box feels smooth and fine now but its making me wonder what it is and if i should really be worried

Not that easy to take back as there based in london and im in cornwall.

My mate reckons the box was done by the apprentice!

Ive got 12 months warranty on the box, im tempted to try it but if it does go wrong then ive got to take the engine out to get the box out.

was that hanging about loose inside? Doesn't sound very good! You don't really want a recon box to fail at 13 months either, you would expect it to last the lifetime of the car! I would have a word and see what they say.

Should there be any play in the input shaft as it feels slack to me?

A mechanic had a look at the box for me earlier and says that the bit i found is a bit of plumbing tube not a bush :wacko:

A mechanic had a look at the box for me earlier and says that the bit i found is a bit of plumbing tube not a bush :wacko:

It doesn't matter what it is, it shouldn't be there.

Barry

Guest robinj66

Tom

Just looked at their site - you say you've got a 12 month warranty but the site says 6 months! You might want to check this before you make any decision as to whether to accept the box

You will also get a 12 months guarentee with the box from when purchased on our website or ebay shop.

The box is fully reconditioned

just found this in an email from them

Im going to send them an email with pictures of the tube attached and explain that the shaft has alot of play. Im pretty dissapointed to have received the box in this condition and hope that they can sort out a refund.

Quite a bit of play. Or is that normal?

Just had an email back from them offering to arrange for a courier to pick my box up and replace it with a new one which i have accepted. Im hopeing the replacement doesnt come with another "precious" inside it :D