Injection Fuel Pump Filter, What Do I Use

Guest Guy

I got my engine started for the first time in 3 years B) Sounded grate for the first few minutes :D then it stopped :huh:

I have a fuel tank that feeds through a filter into a small reservoir tank that keeps the pump supplied with fuel. I didn't put a filter on the input to the pump as the fuel should already be clean and I didn't want to impede the flow (big mistake). Anyway, there must have been some swarf in the reservoir tank (I drilled some holes in it) and it jammed the pump. I've blown compressed air through the pump and got it moving again but I don't want the same thing to happen again.

What king of high flow fuel filter can I use on the inlet to the pump?

Guest salty_monk

You have to use a high pressure one. They tend to be expensive but widely available. You might be able to adapt something from the scrap yard.

I posted up about the mk2 GTI 8v VW pump, filter & swirl pot that can be used as one piece but I have seen the filter on Ebay separate. That might do it.

Good luck, Dan :)

What's wrong with using the large barrel filter that comes with the standard EFI setup? I have mine mounted between the tank and the pump and it has been working fine for years. It is about 6" long with 4" diameter and has banjo fittings on it.

In terms of freeing up the fuel pump, I had exactly the same problem before I did the above and the easiest way to free the pump is to rapidly swap the terminals over and touch them on a battery. This will agitate the pump forward and backwards and free it up. The fuel flowing through it after that will flush it out

Andy

The large filter sounds like a good idea but I'm a bit short on space, it's only a low pressure part of the system so I have a bit more flexibility. I thought I'd blocked the pump completely as I couldn't get any air to go through it at all to start with, then I remembered the non return valve :rolleyes:

GUy - I had a cheap and cheerful £2.00 filter from halfords in my set up. Seemed to work fine small plastic thing with tails either end. Not as important before the injection pump as long as it stops bits of swarf !!!!!

Guest salty_monk

Sorry I got confused I think.... you can run a cheap 2 bob Halfords job between the tank & the lifter pump or with an electric pump supplying carbs but you need a fine high pressure one somewhere in line before the high pressure pump.

Dan :)

Guest chris brown
Sorry I got confused I think.... you can run a cheap 2 bob Halfords job between the tank & the lifter pump or with an electric pump supplying carbs but you need a fine high pressure one somewhere in line before the high pressure pump.

Dan :)

Dan get your thinking head on :p High pressure filter goes after the pump in the high pressure line to the injectors and normally is a 5 micron joby to protect the injectors the filter required prior to the pump is a normal inline type normally found on carbureted engines this is because normal production cars have a mesh filter on the pickup pipe in the tank and lets face it they haven’t normally had the builder having to drill/file or cut bits out of the tank

I struggled for ages to find a pre pump filter with 15mm in/out same as feed to pump, I didnt wan to step down the pipe and needed something robust as its under the car. The only option I found was a bullet motorsport one for about 60 quid. I have a swirl pot on the botton of fuel tank and pump is behind diff, with a smaller vauxhall injection filter up front.

Jez

Guest chris brown
I didnt wan to step down the pipe

Jez

I didn’t nether but couldn’t find a 15 mm one either so went the step down step up route and have never had a problem even on track at about 10 mpg B)

I've fixed it now, I've taken a cheep £2 filter and put the end into some normal 8mm ID fuel pipe (just a short bit) and then put the whole end into the 15mm ID pipe for the pump and used a jubilee clip to hold it all together, the other end of the filter connects to the reservoir tank (in my case an old gas bottle from the welder) ;)