Wheels Chafing The Lightweight Rear Hub Carriers!

peter_m7uk

I tried a Sierra wheel on my LW the other day and realised the standard 14" rims don't

actually fit the LW rear hub design, as the inside of the the rim touches the hub carrier!

I was going to stick the Sierra wheels on during the build, then put some smart new larger

diameter rims on at the end, but seems I'll have to get the new ones now. What size of

rim are we all using? Anyone know the minimum needed - is it 15" or 16" ?

Cheers,

Pete B)

Hi Pete,

Mine were 15" Wheels, and fitted over the hub carriers comfortably.

Trev.

Trev,

Thanks for the reply. By the way, what happened to your Lightweight Blog?!! :o I used

to like looking at the pics in there, but seems to have been cut down to the finished

photos. Does it still exist somewhere????

Pete B)

hi pete

mine has 15" and is fine ,picked up trevors old lightweight and gbs had put sierra alloys on it ,found several packing washers behind the wheels so it didnt foul the hub carrier.

graham

Trev,

Thanks for the reply. By the way, what happened to your Lightweight Blog?!! :o I used

to like looking at the pics in there, but seems to have been cut down to the finished

photos. Does it still exist somewhere????

Pete B)

hi colin

i dont know how far you will have to pack it out ?

also if the drive shafts will allow that ammount are yours push fit type or the bolted type?

good luck

graham

ps if you want a set of sierra alloys i have a set here

hi colin

i dont know how far you will have to pack it out ?

also if the drive shafts will allow that ammount are yours push fit type or the bolted type?

good luck

graham

ps if you want a set of sierra alloys i have a set here

Push fit so ill have to be careful

thanks for the offer of the alloys. will try spacing first as the wheels are what made me buy the donor in the first place

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi Pete,

I pulled most of the blog as I was constantly getting excited emails from people through the website, asking about the Lightweight, when it wasn’t even for sale at the factory any more – at one point it was 2 or 3 a day, so I thought it was best to not lead people into the same unmodified build I had.

Still have all the photo’s though, just ask if any were of particular interest, I’ll send them over.

If you want the whole website, pm me your address and I can send the whole thing in an offline DVD, as it was the day I removed it. (It totalled 2.3GB, and I have over 2300 photos in my lightweight folder!)

The Mojo build is progressing nicely now, spent the weekend running brake lines, fuel lines, hydraulic clutch lines etc, have gone though loads of rubber P clips!

Hope everyone is well,

Trev.

post-1706-1173728869_thumb.jpg

hi dan

that would be another way to fix the prob

on the lightweight the brake backplate and bearing asasy is spaced of from the suss mounting plate that the bones hang on, in true rhsc form they are 4no 3mm plates so that the brake back plate dont get squished out of shape when nutting up the whole assembly i think colin was going to try to increase this spacing.

graham

Guest salty_monk

Oh, I get it.... I didn't realise the LW was built that way. Spacing the wheels forward as an alternative allows easier fitment of others later if you change your mind.

I'm not sure what your spacers look like but if they look anything like the camber wedges people use on other Hoods I'd slice them down the middle before fitting so you can remove in two pieces later on if you need to change sizes. Easier than removing the driveshaft.

Dan :)