Classic Scooters

Guest Martin.cma

Guest Martin.cma

I was asked by an elderly Gent at church to try to sell his old Vespa scooters (2) for him. I guess this is because I'm into bikes, but I really know nothing about scooters. He has owned them since they were about a year old and has all relevant documentation. One is a 50's 125 the other a very early 60's 150, both require a lot of work. The old guy is open to offers if anybody is interested. I'm sure he thinks they are quite valuable, I've tried to break it to him gently that I think otherwise. He is willing to make a donation from the sale to a charitable cause, so here goes.

If there are any latter day Mods out there drop my a line and I'll forward what pics I have, they are not for the squeamish!

Guest chris brown
I'm sure he thinks they are quite valuable, I've tried to break it to him gently that I think otherwise.
Have a look on eBay for prices you may be surprised providing they are fairly complete

From a genned up Vespa colleague in Germany.

Generally scooters of that age are sought after by a lot of collectors, especially if they are Douglas-Vespas.

On the other hand it does not make sense to sell them to Europe, as prices in Great Britain are considerably higher than here. This is partly because of the awkward Pound-Euro ratio. Transportation is another issue.

The other way round, lot of british people buy sccoters in Germany or in Italy, as the better prices make the transport home not a financial problem.

I would recommend to sell the scooters locally in GB. The guy should stay cool and not sell them to the first timewaster coming around, trying to talk him dizzy - and possibly keep away from a scooter dealer with visible dollar-signs in the eyes.

You can send me a picture of each of the scooters and by identifying them I might be able to estimate a realistic price-range even for GB.

Just to be sure what´s possible and to prevent that elderly Gent from being tricked.

Keep in mind: even if they are not in a good condition and non-runners, the presence of all documents and therefore a traceable history makes them worth 100 Pds. more than a runner of suspect origin and no docs.

Guest alan rowe

I had a Lambretta - an LI 150 series 3 (1965 vintage) loaded with crome crash bars, front and rear racks, mirrors and other stuff - so much weight it could bearly do 60mph - but it looked the bo****ks

Much more superior to those Vespas

A

Guest peter2b2002

i started with an Li 150,went up to a sx 175 then had a mate who took it upto 225cc with twin plugs went like stink, in those days it was just a parker, gogles and a bobble hat

pete2b

Guest Martin.cma

Thanks for the messages, info, advice and interest. I'll get back to all of you who have asked for pics. I never realised there was still interest in these weird contraptions, I never saw the point of spending the same sort of money on one of them to run at 60 with a wind behind you when you could buy a Tiger 110 or RGS. Still the scooter boys always managed to pull the girls which says quite a bit about female taste I suppose...

Guest Martin.cma

Paul.Yeomans your server bounced the pics, I guess uni gateways are policed by bikers! Your mate's went OK. If you have a hotmail account let me know.

Guest peter2b2002

i did change type(turn'd greeser) when i left home , built a 650 TriBsa with cow horns like Easy Rider, you get a different type of bird

pete2b