Thoughts On Site

Mat-Moo

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Mat,

Ummmm

Is this proposed site to replace the original "Home" bit or as a replacement for the current "Invision Board" - which I find to be good especially with the ability to post small pictures if necessary.

I tend to be conservative (small c) and have nearly learnt to find my way round the Invision bit.

Terry

The base web page for RHOCAR is a bit out of date, hence any improvements would be good, but surely what makes a good web site is content, not style. If the new format makes it easier to keep things up to date then it has to be a good thing. Things like the build tips, links to members web sites, calendar of events etc etc are all on the old site. The problem is keeping everything up to date.

Mat - please don't take this as a dig at you. I know from past experience that keeping any web site up to date can turn into a full time job, especially when there are as many people involved as there are RHOCAR members. Will the new format make your job easier? That's my question.

Ant

YeEs, the advantage of a CMS is that everything is stored in a database (aka this forum) which would mean that updates would be MUCH quicker! In fact I can have multiple moderators/admins who can accept new articles etc. and publish them instantly. This reduced the work load on me significantly, and also (for example) I can change the whole look/feel of the website almost instantly! In fact if you look in the articels I have already moved over a couple of build tips which took only a couple of minutes - so moving the content should be easy! The chat box is just for fun more than anything, but almost every part of the site can be turned on and off (like the chat box) Also as feek has done people can post there own comments against things (like articles). I'm still working on colours / style / font sizes but I'm just getting a feel of it... Might scrap it alltogheter and try something else :)

One thought for this is it probably ought to be read only to the general web wanderer or "guest" user, but writable by RHOCAR members, Otherwise we risk lots of spam and advertisements being. Obviously moderators get even more powers still.

How about publishing back issues of boyz in hoods on there too?