Water Pipes

Guest Roberth

Guest Roberth

Please can anyone give me some advice. Ive got a 2ltre 1989 pinto not fuel injected. I have the newcoolman radiator, the existing header tank and the old top hose.

The top hose has a smaller pipe coming off it that went to the header tank.

The water pump has the main inlet and a plug on the small outlet with "ford" written on it .

Can anyone tell me what to connect to where as im pulling my hair (whats left of it) out.

I think your trouble stems from the fact the cooling system you now have in your hood is basically the same as an old Cortina or even Capri.

1 st you don't use the header tank.

Theres a small pipe on the thermostat housing that is never used, keep it blocked.

The smaller take off on the water pump is for a heater pipe, the return is under the carb.

There is a pipe off the side of the radiator cap, this should go to a non-pressurised expansion tank. When the water expands with heat it will vent out of the pipe and when it contracts it gets sucked back in. You need to make sure the radiator cap has a rubber seal for the top of the rad.

If you not sure have a look at a Capri or Cortina.

All the best Jez

You also need to ditch the old top hose. The thinner pipe that used to go to the header tank is now redundant under the system detailed above. I found an older Sierra with a simple top hose that connects just from the thermostat housing to the radiator top. You could opt to block the pipe instead, but won't be as neat.

I just posted some piccies of a radiator mod I did for the 2b in the mods foum. You can see the basic idea on them.

Daz