Rs Engine

Guest Wozzer

B) Can anyone advise me if a 2Litre (Pinto) RS (1980's) has the same cylinder head inlet as a 2Litre Sierra (1990) EFI ?

The reason I ask is that I am converting my EFI to a carb, and I have been offered a 32/36 Weber with manifold off a 'RS Pinto'.

Yes, the MK1/2 RS2000 used a pinto engine and its carb and manifold will bolt straight on to your sierra derived pinto. But.......the RS manifold may have very thin flanges making it difficult to cover the injection cut outs in the head face and the standard carb was a DGAV 32/36 just the same as loads of sierras already have.

Nigel

Yes.

The RS 2000 engine is basically a Cortina Engine, I have fitted a Cortina Carb and manifold to my Injection engine with good effect.

You just need to use a inlet manifold gasket for the carb version of the pinto not injection.

I'm also told that the cheap gaskets are best they have more meat on them.

Piddy.

Guest swarrans

Surely Wozzer's 1990 Sierra EFI engine is going to be a 2.0 DOHC isn't it?

Are your answers the same if that is the case? (it looked as though you were assuming his Sierra was a Pinto, which it probably isn't as the DOHC was intorduced in '89).

Maybe the Pinto and DOHC are the same in this area, I don't know...

Simon

Hi,

Yes it is a Pinto (G reg) .

Refering back to the 'thin manifold flange', yes it is thin. Would this be a problem or can it be overcome with gaskets?

By the way thanks for all the assistance. :D

Depends on how much gap there is from edge of manifold to peak of injection cut out. Cheapo carb gasket will cover a couple of mm. Ovalising the stud holes might get you another mm but doesn't do anything for port matching. More than that you could make up a sandwich plate in 3mm aluminium or even weld the cutouts in the head.

Nigel