Lack Power

Guest horncock

Guest horncock

setup : new 2L pinto, new 38DGMS carb, new standard fuel pump.

First problem, carb flooding at tickover and when engine switch off, solution refit Ford fuel pressure regulator. Problem 2 car losses power and misses when driving fast, over 4000rpm, or when overtacking etc, is it the fuel regulator starving the carb. is an adjustable regulator the solution.

A standard mechanical pump should not flood the carb. The problem is the float chamber needle valve/seat leaking or a non floaty float. And reducing the fuel supply is affecting the float chamber level on full chat.

You need to check the float needle and change it and its seat unless there is a pretty obvious lump of cr*p holding it open.

Just reread your post, its all new. Wow. What pump is it. Are you talking mechanical or electric. So if its a high pressure electric pump it can flood a servicable carb so fit a variable regulator or switch to an old mechanical pump. (A scrapyard mechanical pump runs my twin forties very happily. A new electric pump has been sitting in a box along with a FilterKing for three years. What a waste of money)

Nigel

Guest horncock

standard ford mechincal pump, the carb is brand new out of box, is it possible that it could be at fault ?

Should there be a return pipe from the 38dgms to tank. at first I thought that this might be the problem, blocked restricted, checked it through and replaced pipe, took tank to bits, still flooded until I refitted ford fuel regualtor. Like I said I have fitted new engine so was taking easy until run in. But now has lack of power at full tilt. Also cannot get car to go faster that 100mph, whatever gear, up or down hill, surley a 2l should manage that no problem.

Many people running DGAV/DGAS etc are using mechanical pump and no return. Your carb could be faulty but a bit of dirt in the needle valve is most likely. Strip and blow through is in order and make sure you have a filter in line to keep it clean in the future.

I should ease off the high speed stuff till you get the carb sorted. If the float chamber fuel is getting low when you floor it the mixture will get weak and severe preignition with possibility of burning pistons can happen. Will comfortably top 110mph when run in but its the acceleration from 50 to 100 that always gets me.

Nigel