Which 7?

Guest rob!nhood

Guest rob!nhood

Hi

Looking for any help or advice on my second build......

After attending Stoneleigh, I find the 'calling' stronger than ever, to own a 7. The problem is every one seems to have there own views, likes & dislike on which kit is best to buy.

Having looked at different kits the 2b ticks a lot of boxes. The only problem im worried about is ...I was told that they have one of the smallest leg room of the lot??? Is this true? What do you see the differences as between the RB & other kits? & Is the locost a visible option?

Also looking on ebay there seems to be a difference in some of the chassis styles, is this age related? Are the there any disadvantages of an older chassis? As I may be considering a part built.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Sean

Guest gdc

hi and welcome

try the new 07 for size plenty of room in that ,

full wishbone suspension

and the strength probs seem to have been addressed

ring richard or ian at gbs and see if you can get up to mansfild for a sit and see.

they will show you the range i am sure

regards graham

Guest chris brown
Hi

I was told that they have one of the smallest leg room of the lot??? Is this true?

By who? The 2B is one of the biggest being wider than most others as the tunnel is very narrow. we have some fairly big people in the club who have no problem at all Battery Bill is about 6' 5" with feet to match and has no problem, it also will take tin top seats so there is no problem in that area either.

The earlier cars were not so roomy but not as tight as a standard cateringvan.

Guest SEgan
Having looked at different kits the 2b ticks a lot of boxes. The only problem im worried about is ...I was told that they have one of the smallest leg room of the lot??? Is this true?

The 2B is driven by many taller than average drivers! The kit has many pitfalls and as many RobinHoods it is not a straightforward build, but it is one of the larger sevens. I drive in complete comfort (6' 2"), but a little deaf in the left ear :wacko: .

Sean

Looks like I cannot type as fast as Chris!! <_<

Edited by SEgan

The 2B can be as big as you want. The driver foot area size is just how you join the panels ( or extend/ remake them) together. The pedal box is a Robinhood thing:- You can fit it where "designed" or chop and shut it elsewhere, or even throw it away and fit a floor mount. -- and if you fit an engine with the exhaust on the passenger side , there is even more space.

Graham --- with short legs, who has made it even shorter than it was and cut off the shelf that was left in the engine bay.

I have a 2B and with a little cut and shut of the pedals, getting the seat as far back and as low as I can I can get my 6'3" 21 stone in. Comfortably able to drive for 2 hours without a break, bladder permitting.

If you fill in your location perhaps a local hoodie may be persuaded, with tea and hobnobs, to try one for size.

Guest timswait

Yes, the 2B probably has the most leg room of any of the sevens. Robin Hood kits are generally some of the hardest to put together, a lot of bits don't fit, and a lot of the time you have to fabricate your own parts. However, to my mind this is made up for by the fact that for what you get they are amongst the cheapest to get built and on the road. Also they are relatively heavy (by seven standards) as a 2B will weigh in the region of 750kg, and the suspension set up is not the best designed, although with some mods can still be pretty good. The new Hood and 07 look better from a structural and dynamic point of view. If you're looking for a cheapish fun car that beats the pants of any production car for sheer enjoyment then a RH is excellent, if you're after a pure performance machine, and are prepared to pay for it then go with the likes of Tiger and Westfield.

The RH tubular spaceframes (with the exception of the hood and 07) are all fairly similar, and all use Sierra donor parts. The main difference is with the front suspension The 2B has either sliding pillar (avoid if possible) or double wishbone. The sub K and 2B/04 have mini-mcpherson strut (better than sliding pillar, not as good as double wishbone). Before the spaceframes there were the monocoque cars with various mechanicals and suspension.